I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

opinions on wrapping a green rainshadow
Posted by: sante morrone (---.rc-mres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:52PM

Iam getting ready to start a ISB844 rainshadow in a green colored casting rod ,of course spiraled wrapped
but i dont know what color thread i should use
i want something different not your ordinary wrap
ill let this roll
and hear what you fellas have to say
thanks

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opinions on wrapping a green rainshadow
Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:07AM

I've done one using metallic copper wraps with burgundy metallic accents... I was very happy with it.

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.135.131.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:36AM

i went for the subtle look and used gudebrod medium green without CP and thin 3-4 wraps NCP white (pacbay this time) trim on the downside of single foot ceramics. i like it. i also did one with the same green but used metallic green as trim. i'm just starting out so taking cautious steps.

NEXT time i do a green rod.. i might go with a Black/Green jasper thread with... oh i don't know.... 4 wrap metallic copper trim, perhaps with a foundation of 2-wrap black on the very ends? (chuckling)

eric
fresno, ca.
(building fly rods for my mental health, however obsessive it might appear to outsiders ;-)

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:26AM

I just finished up a 6'6" light spinning blank and I used gudebrods med green with three thin bands of orange at three wraps each in the center. I spaced them out. That was on the first guide(size 30). Then on the next two(16&12) was the same green w/two bands of orange. The next three were w/ one band in the middle. The tip was with two bands. Yea, I know, it looks different, but I get bored with the same standard border on the end of my wraps. My hook keep wrap is about four inches long and I use madeira thread with glitter in it. I put slash marks at 12 and 15 inches from the foregrip for marking the size fish that I catch. I use gold tape and then wrap thread on both sides of the tape to show just a small strip of gold in the middle. It'll be my rod for some smallmouth fishing as soon as the weather permits. I hope the weather breaks up soon so I can fish or I'm liable to spend more money buying more blanks to feed the obsessiveness.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:09AM

Just did a IST 1025F steelhead spinning rod in Gudebrod Chestnut with copper 4 wrap trim with CP and Forecast LTCVNSG/LTCFNG Ti frame/gold ring concept guide system.
Used a black/green stripe dynawood buttcap and 17 mm reelseat insert/w Pac Bay gold skeleton from Les. Dan Craft suggested and sold me the guides.
Starting a IP841 Rainshadow using the same reelseat, same thread, but gold frame "M" style Sevier guides from Neal's.

Spencer

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.137.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:53AM

Any of the reds, greens for that St Croix look. #200 gold, looks like honey - No CP

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:44PM

i like gudebrod garnet with no cp and with silver inlays. looks very classy.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 02:46PM

My wife picked these colors out and I was amazed on how classy it looks.Gudebrod 0246 BLue no CP with 9358 Green trim bands using the Forecast LTCUDUG blue ring's.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:24PM

A second for Larry's garnet and silver, but I've seen Karry's blue and green and it's a sweet combo.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.199.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:27PM

Black , with orange or yellow NCP thread inlys or trim.............nice. JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Wong (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 10:10PM

I have made two on that color blank from Rainshadow. Gudebrod electra metallic green #9358 guide wraps with the same only in gold #9000 for trim wrap. Liked the first so well I made the second rod exactly the same. I am pretty much a novice so didnt do anything too clever but the thread made the rod rock!

Posted by: sante morrone (---.rc-mres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:29PM

gee thanks guys now i have to decide

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster