I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Explaining CCS
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:04AM

I have had a couple frustrating days and figured some of you could either relate to or benefit from something I wrote yesterday. A friend of mine, for whom I have built many rods recently picked up a blem fly blank on @#$%& or somewhere on the internet. Names and brands have been ommitted to either protect the innocent or avoid confrontation with the guilty. Anyway, he sent me the blank to build wanting it to be a 4/5wt. and the first thing I did was test the blank with CCS. I told him my findings, he questioned the guy who sold him the blank, the guy got angry and beligerant, then my friend asked me to contact the seller and explain my testing method. Here's what I wrote to my friend about the whole episode and some parts of it may be useful to you out there who may be dealing with folks who have never heard of the CCS ......

For the record, the blank my friend bought has an ERN of 7.6 and an AA of 64. The Fisher my friend is trying to replace has an ERN of probably 3.2 and an AA of around 58-60 (typical classic 4/5wt. early graphite rod)

___,

What would I say to ___? Would you want me to try and exchange it for a less powerful blank? I have bought blanks from ___ but obviously not this one. I regard him as totally honest and I'm sure your seller is also. My testing method is called the Common Cents System for measuring rod power and action. It is a new system that came out about a year and a half ago in RodMaker Magazine issues 6-2 through 6-4. In a nutshell, what you do is assemble the rod and secure the handle in a horizontal position. Then you suspend pennies (hence the name Common Cents) from the tip top in a small plastic baggie until you deflect the tip downward a set distance based on the length of the rod. Based on the number of pennies you have in the bag, you assign the rod a relative power rating. This takes the subjectivity out of rating power and allows you to compare all rods on a relative and quantitative basis. The action of the rod is determined by measuring the angle of the tip during the deflection using a protractor. Again, it's quantitative and not subjective. I'm not making any judgements, I'm just taking measurements that anyone who learns the testing system can reproduce for himself.

Here's what you probably already know. One company's 4 wt. could be another company's 6wt. or another company's 2wt. Anybody can label any rod anything they want to and there's nothing dishonest about it. However, this lack of standardization can make it frustrating for fishermen and rodbuilders. What I can tell you is this. I have measured most of your rods and I also know a lot about how many "classic rods" rate in terms of power using this system. If I build this rod for you, it will be WAY, WAY, WAY more powerful than any of your other 4 or 5wt. rods. I will do whatever you want me to with this blank but I just wanted you to know what to expect in terms of power. Of course it will cast a 4wt. line or a 5wt. line but so will any rod. Your Legend Ultra 8wt. will cast a 4 or 5wt. line a mile but it won't load very well in close. I'm just saying that this rod will be a very powerful rod for that purpose and based on the type of rods you like, and based on the Fisher you are trying to replace, this rod will not be like any of them.

So, here's what I think. The blank is what it is and I'm not saying that it didn't come out of a _____ factory as an 8' 4wt. blank. I am also not accusing anyone of mislabeling or misleading. I am just telling you what to expect if you have me build this rod for you. After you read this and understand where I'm coming from, give me a call.

Steve
sdkxc88@wakeforestsports.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Explaining CCS
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:11AM

I think you did an excellent job with this explanation. Other builders may want to copy it down and keep it for any similar situation/s that will surely come up in the future.

The only thing I would add is that the point of using pennies is due to the fact that their weight is strictly controlled by the U.S. Mint and they offer a consistent and highly accurate means of weight measurement.

I have heard many people say that anything or any system that is this easy and uses pennies can't really be very scientific. They're wrong, of course, but I can see why they would think as they do. If it's too easy or too simple, it can't really be much good. At least that's the mindset of many.

Re: Explaining CCS
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:13AM

Good point Tom. In the follow up phone call with my friend, I did make the point about post '96 pennies being minted with exact and consistent weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster