I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gel Pens for Inscriptions
Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:29AM

I'm looking for an inscription pen that's different from the typical silver or gold. I've found a color I like in the gel pens that are sold at Wal-Mart. Does this type of pen mix OK with finish epoxy? I'll be using Duragloss LS Supreme.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gel Pens for Inscriptions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:20AM

Wright some thing on a piece of scrap blank. I usually heat with a hair dryer to help dry it. Then try some clear. When dry. I have picked up some from Cabela's. They have a few different colors.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:11AM

The problem with a lot of gel pens is that the roller in the tip tends to not roll on really slick surfaces, like rod blanks. As long as you can write on the blank with it, you can use it. While buying the pens at Walmart, go to the paint department and get a can of Krylon Spray Fixatif. Spray a very thin coat of it on the inscription after it's dry and it will not be ruined by the finish. That's my routine and it has never failed, picked up the advice about the Krylon stuff here.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:21AM

I have not ever sprayed any thing on mine and never had one smear??

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:11AM

Hello Andrew
Most gel pens will not dry completely without considerable time (days) and help (heat). However they do not have to be completely dry and will take a finish coat. I have use LS Supreme on many of them. Even on very fresh inscription (6 to eight hours old) no smearing provided I did not touch the inscription with my application tool. Just lay on the finish and let it level. If you use LS Supreme use a thin coat and if using LS Supreme High Build a thicker coat can be used.
To make it easier to write on the blank make sure it is clean- Swab with Alcohol and then buff it lightly with a gray 3 M Scotchbrite number 7448. Then write on it. You will find that the roller pens write very well on the buffed surface and that the finish coat will be clear and smooth as cleaning with Alcohol and buffing with the 3M 7448 pad will give you a water break free surface. I usually try a new procedure on a piece of test rod first. I like to know the planned procedure is going to give predictible and desired results.
Hope this helps
Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:31PM

Andrew,
I usually do my incriptions onto my first coat of epoxy. This works well for me. You mentioned wanting a different color than the traditional gold or silver. Do a search on my name to see past postings I've made on this subject. In the postings you'll see my method, and you will also see the name and color of the pen I use. I'm at work so don't have access to the pen right now.

Good Luck,
Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 01:21PM

Gelly Roll pens from screpbooking stores are great.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:57PM

Andrew, I've used the gel pens sold at Wal-Mart with good results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster