I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Amtac blue framed guides/saltwater rods
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 03:58AM

Can anyone confirm if these blue framed guides from Amtac (GZBS, for example) are suitable for saltwater rods?

I ask this because I've seen "fireball red" and "mean green" framed guides from Mud Hole and they are recommended for freshwater only...

Thank you again,

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amtac blue framed guides/saltwater rods
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 15, 2005 07:45AM

Daniel, I just finished a salt water rod using Pac Bays blue guides (very nice), you can find them on Donarts site. Here's a link,
[www.donartrods.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:04AM

Daniel; make sure they hold up to saltwater. The Amtek Titans are some thing to look at.
Then again they do say Freshwater Only

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2005 08:18AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:09AM

Daniel,

You might want to check with American Tackle on that. Last year Amtac or PacBay had problems with their colored ring guides in saltwater. There was a thread posted here about the guides loosing color in saltwater. Shortly after I contacted Amtac or PacBay (I don't remember which company it was) and asked about this problem and I was told there was a problem but they were working to correct the problem. They my have fixed the problem but I would sent an email to whichever company's guides you want to use. Both company's are very good about answering their emails and giving honest answers.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.70.197.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:33PM

Daniel,

The Blue/TiCH/etc guide from Amtak are done with PVD. This is a vapor deposition process that locks the outer, deposited coating to the inner steel frame. It won't come off.

The red and green guides from Mudhole are electroplated. That's how some of the old TiCH guides were done. That finish will come off at times.

The Amtak are totally safe for saltwater (been there done that), though a good rinse should be done at the end of the day. The Mudhole are not.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:46PM

Thanks Rick I couldn't have said it better myself.

Regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster