I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic - How Much to Tip the Guide
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:45PM

A buddy and I are going on a two day guided trip in early April. It will be a float trip primarily for trout, maybe some smallmouth but I'm not sure. How much should we tip the guide per day or for two days? I know you may consider performance some, but what's the range? Do you consider percentage of the cost for the trip or so much per day? Maybe so much per fish!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic - How Much to Tip the Guide
Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:28PM

There was recently an extensive discussion of this very topic on www.ifish.net Here is the address of that thread
[www.ifish.net]

I hope that works

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:31PM

Sorry, I guess my attempt to link you to the thread didn't work. It's on there, if you just go to www.ifish.net and page down a little.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:41PM

For me, tipping is for guides who are pleasant, helpful and even entertaining. If I happen to get into good fish, that's great, but I don't expect the guide to perform miracles. Even though the guide should know where the fish ought to be, some days you can't buy a fish. I would never tip a guide who's rude or unpleasant, or one who also tries to fish, somehow they need to get the message that they should take up another line of work. Fortunately I've gotten to be reasonably good friends with a couple of guides and now we just go fishing for fun.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.153.47.209.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:39PM

Tip as much as you can afford if the guide was pleasant and you learned some valuable fishing info or maybe a new technique. You might think fishing for a livin is the good life and to a certain extent it is, but it is still a lot of hard work. The knowledge he shares took alot of trail and errror and it cost him plenty to aquire.
Then you have guides who are "Boat Drivers" They arent hard to spot. They eat constantly ,pass gas, tell lies about the good ole days, and offer no helpful information whatsoever. If you happen to get one of these guys try to make the best of it and end the trip with a firm, empty, handshake.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:25AM

This Thursday is our 4th guided spring Steelhead trip here in Michigan. Although the price of the trip has gone up from $295 to $325, the two of us combined have always tipped the guide $100 - because our guide always has another rod ready if the line breaks on the one we're using, he pulls any weeds off the hook after we retrieve, and provides great conversation as well. Since we're going on a Friday this time, our normal guide can't make it - instead we're fishing with the owner of the guide service - I hope he was the one that trained our regular guide how to treat the customer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster