I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TiCH guide question
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:33PM

Anybody have anything negative to say about TiCH guides on a fly rod? I am wondering why you would use Stainless when TiCH is not that much more. Does the coating wear away? I continue to see mid to high end rods with stainless guides, am I missing something???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TiCH guide question
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:47PM

The commercially made rods, high end or otherwise, just use the same old thing. I have one rod with TiCH single foot wire guides but I haven't fished it enough to give you any advice on it's longevity. I do have a rod with Hopkins & Holloway black chrome snakes that have not held up well at all. If it wasn't such a pain, I'd replace them with single foot ceramics.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 02:03PM

Hi Mike--aside from the bottom line, it seems a mystery why high-end brand rods don't use better guides. YES, the TiCh coated snakes do hold up much better than their hard-chromed equivalent, which are of course better than the straight S/S snakes which are less commonly used. I find Hopkins & Holloway DLC coating to be the best of all the wire options, but nothing compares to zirconium or SiC - class ceramics. Here's an interesting link on guide wear [www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk] .

We always recommend stepping up to TiCh if you're set on snakes or sf wire guides--in the case of the latter H&H standoff's with DLC are the best in my books.

Hey--it's a custom rod...it should be better than the off-the-rack-ers anyway! :)

Warmly,

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:36PM

I have used Ti guides almost exclusivly for the last 3 years. They seem to be holding up as well as anything else, and they look a bunch better.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:21PM

I think many people (myself included) feel that TiCH guides are overkill on a rod used for freshwater. From what I have read a good quality stainless steel hard chromed snake or single foot snake will hold up for years and years in freshwater especially if you clean your flyline regularly. I think this is a true statement. I have a fly rod that I bought around 1985 that has hard chromed snakes and they are still in good shape. I don't fish saltwater but it is a different story from what I have heard and read - the only sensible way to go there would be TiCH or ceramics. I have used both TiCh and chrome on the rods I have built and have been pleased with both but I actually like the look of the chrome guides better.
And the cost difference is not insignificant. In general the TiCH guides cost 2 - 3 times what the standard chrome guides cost - at least where I have priced them.
Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 07:16PM by Greg Mitchell.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:27PM

Check the Rainshadow/Forecast site. I have used there TiCH guides and am more thna happy.

David Banaka

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:05PM

No problems with the TiCh guides, but I once grooved a set of Forecast black-chrome SF snakes pretty severely in only 3 months' fishing. This was in winter in SE MN where the majority of the time the line was covered with a thin layer of ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster