I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot fly guide spacing
Posted by: James Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 08:09PM

I am new to fly rod building and I am going to build a 9' 6wt 3pc fly rod and was wanting to use the single foot fly guides on it.
My question is this, is the guide spacing going to be the same for single foot ceramics as it is for snakes? Also, I'm guessing that the sizes would go something like 10 and 8 double foot, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6 and tip top. Is this close???

Thanks

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot fly guide spacing
Posted by: John Dow (204.60.210.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:15PM

With those #s , it looks like you are using SF guides with incerts . Personaly I would use a 16 , then 12 or 10 strippers , then an 8 , a 7, and the rest 6's out ......... but that's me . Make sure to put a guide on the Female furrels , or at least as close as possible to help reduce the stress on the furrels when the rod is under a load . Hope this helps . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: James Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:21PM

O.K. the sizes sound good, but is the spacing the same for the ceramics as it is on the snakes?
I've built spinning and casting rods, so I can get the spacing on those, but this is my first attempt at a fly rod and I want to try to get it right the first time.

Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.59.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:00AM

That spacing is only a starting place. The static test and the blank tell you where to place the guides. Check the Libarary page for the artical on the Concept System and Static Test And the Faq's page

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:19AM

The spacing should be the same regardless of guide type. I would go with your 10 and 8 double foot guides and 6's the rest of the way as the sevens don't add any value.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Drury (---.dn129.umontana.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:40PM

Excuse me while I wade in and muddy the waters further. On the 9 ft 6 wts I've built, I've used the following guides: 12, 10 (line tamer 4" in front of the stripper), 8, and then all 6's (I think) out through a size 6 tip top. The 12, 10 and 8 were double footed V-shaped guides, Fuji SVSG, while the others were Fuji Alconites. I think I didn't use any size 7 running guides, if I could jump 2 mm in the line taming set I think one could go from 8 to 6 without a problem. If I didn't use a line tamer guide, I'd probably go 12, 10 (both V-shaped), 8 (SF) 6s (SF) - I'd test cast before wrapping, to see if I liked the performance before investing too much time.

Yes spacing should be same for df and sf guides, I think - use the static guide placement method in the Library to get the best spacing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster