I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for gold winding checks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:11PM

Hi all! Hey--we've had a bunch of requests lately for gold colored winding checks, but for the most part are coming up empty on our search! We are dialoguing with a manufacturer in Germany, but aside from your local Walmart toe-ring selection, have any of you found a source?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for gold winding checks
Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:52PM

I've been searching for 3 years... no luck.

I could never understand why the companies that make gold reel seats, gold butt caps and gold guides wouldn't make a gold check. I hope you have some success.

Best Fishes,

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:23PM

Silver and black folding hook keepers; no gold ones...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:43PM

Just order a whole lot of silver ones take them to an electro-plater and they can electroplate 24kt gold on them.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:47PM

Putter,
Sevier Mfg. distributes a gold folding hook-keeper. Any of the Tiger-eye dealers should be able to get them for you or even direct from Sevier if you are able to buy wholesale. At the Charlotte show, there was a card on display in the Custom Tackle booth with several different colors of metal winding checks (including gold) and also metal trim rings to fit both ends of graphite reelseats. The card was a Fuji card. I didn't get to talk to Bob about these at the show, but they looked really good to me and I hope someone will start carrying these trim pieces. You can see them illustrated on the opening page of the Angler's Resource website (sponsor to the left). The same picture is on the back of Merrick's new catalog, but neither the Angler's Resource website or the Merrick's catalog make any mention of them. If I'm not mistaken, Angler's Workshop has sold gold anodized aluminum winding checks for several years.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.151.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:49PM

anybody know where i can find BLACK winding checks? i know about the black rubber/vinyl ones, but all of those have the same shape and feel. would my best bet be to simply color a cheap aluminum winding check?

eric
fresno, ca.

EDIT / ADDENDUM: ooops, never mind, i see custom tackle has black nickle silver struble winding checks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 05:41AM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:06PM

Putter, I get gold folding hook keepers from Richards Rod and Reel.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:14AM

Thanks, guys! Your rock! :) I don't know how I ever missed these at Angler's Workshop---there's not a huge selection of sizes but the main "trout" sizes are covered! You can count on us having a selection before long, either from Germany or going the "plating" route.

Thanks again,

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:23AM

It's funny but just last night I was doing some searching for gold winding checks online and noticed them listed on the Anglers Worshop site,but I haven't been able to find a picture of them or get a description of the style yet.Does anyone know if they are plain,knurled,or...?What shade of gold?

Regarding the gold hook keepers,most Pac Bay distributors have the standard wire "U shaped" ones in gold ot TiGold,but I would love to find a Fugi style fold down one in gold and in TiCH as well.

Posted by: Bob Hughes (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:09AM

One thing I've done is go to JC Penney and buy their gold chain by the foot. I just sized it for the blank I was working on. Costs about $1 for a couple of inches. I believe it's 14k gold.

Bob Hughes

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt2.ij.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:47AM

John, I picked up plumbing compression fittings from Home Depot , about 3 for a buck. They come in a wide variety of sizes. If you you like to see what it looks like on a rod I can send you a photo.

Tom Church
Wesley Chapel, FL

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:31PM

I have a really nice gold ring from my first marraige, hardly ever worn !!!

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:31PM

I have a really nice gold ring from my first marraige, hardly ever worn !!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:44PM

Just thought I'd add to this thread ... I saw a custom bamboo fly rod that the guy actually "encapsulated" small gold nuggets in epoxy, in a ring, for a winding check. It was gold he actually panned....it was very cool , but way overboard.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.52.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:54PM

"actually "encapsulated" small gold nuggets in epoxy"

WOW. that sounds cool. i just photographed a guy who pans for gold. he had a bunch of nuggets and flour gold and dust and suchness. i wonder what else can be used to encapsulate???? this web site is too cool.

how about glitter? i mean, maybe just for a kid's rod.... ;-) or SOME kind of silver.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:59PM

There's plenty of glitter out there, and epoxy additives that'll make a winding check sparkle, ....but the panned nuggets were really one of a kind..."too cool for words". (bamboo rod, maroon silk ,no trim, handwritten signiture,....nuggets in the winding check! )

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:49PM

For gold in powdered form, try www.mdboth.com (thanks Andy Dear!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 08:50PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 08:31PM

I coulld send you guys some paydirt from up here in Juneau AK! Right from the doorstep of the historic AJ Mine! Flakes guaranteed!...well pretty much....but REALLY small flakes. Get 'em in almost every pan, and just a couple miles down the road! I knew a guy who used to sell bags of "paydirt" on @#$%&. Said he sold quite a few with good results. Sounds like a good project for the future!!

Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster