I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

E-glass or S-glass
Posted by: Caro Disic (---.233.88.113.dial.xnet.ro)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:05PM

Hello,
what difference are betwen S-Glass and E-Glass rod fiberglass material? Are one of them better? I mean weight and unidirectional amount of fibers, feeling. Thanks, Caro

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: E-glass or S-glass
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:22PM

S -glass is higher modulus and lighter weight for the same power.

Spencer

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:15PM

What Spencer said. S glass is more sensitive, E glass is more durable. It's a fine line. Similar to deciding between a St. Croix SCIII or SCV. If the rod is going to see a lot of abuse, E glass may be better. If not, S glass may be the ticket.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:24PM

Caro,
The glass material, prepreg, that glass blanks are made from comes in a wide variety of different weaves, weights, number of fibers per inch etc. just as graphite does. But E-Glass has a lower modulus of elasticity than S-Glass, about 15% lower, and also a lower tensile strength, (about 20% lower). This means that a blank constructed from S-Glass, all other things being equal, can be lighter and also tougher. It also means that being lighter and or stiffer, due to the higher modulus, a rod made of S-Glass should have a little better sensitivity and feel.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:28AM

The E in E glass means for elecrical use as an insulator . The S in S glass stands for structural for use as a building material . I'd say S glass is better than E glass as rod blank material .
S glass is way under utilized in the rod blank manufacturing industries in my opinion . S glass falls somewhere between E glass and graphite in its qualities as rod blank material .
I wish my heavy E glass salt water rods were lighter and my delicate graphite bass rods were more durable . I believe S glass would give me the best comprimize between E glass and graphite . I think that duel composite rods made of graphite and E glass is a way rod blank manufactures try to have the best qualities of both materials .
I'm not a rod blank expert but a mechanicaly inclined hands on kind of a guy and to my way of thinking a mono composite rod made of S glass would be better . Fiberglass and graphite are two different types of material , it's as different as aluminum is to steel . Ever tried to weld aluminum to steel and combind them into a structure like a rod blank ? I just don't think they work as well together as by them selfs . Im not knocking duel composite rod blanks of graphite and glass . I like them and are some of the best rod blanks made . I just think a mono componant rod bank would be better . I have no info to back up my thoughts here , just a seat of the pants feel .

Date: March 13, 2005 10:58AM

Joseph,
You have a point but I do not think that any blank is really constructed of a single material. Even an all glass or all graphite fiber blank will have resin holding it together and will usually also have a finish on the surface. The blank manufacturers have been working with these fibers for quite a few years and I think they are at a point where they do a pretty good job of blending the characteristics of different types of graphite and different types of glass fibers to get the blank characteristics that they and we want.

Posted by: Caro Disic (---.233.65.74.dial.xnet.ro)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:19PM

Thanks everybody for the answer, really apreciated this.
Also, about mixing different materials: what about titanium rods? There are rods with titanium filaments along with HM graphite fibers? I have a Kistler Titanium ( custom period, before Heliums) and the rod have only a titanium pipe over butt section. But I understand there are rods with titanium inserted in prepeg material. Is it true?

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:41PM

Emory ;
Im in agreement with you . The blank manufacturers do have limitations on materials available to them . Fiberglass and graphite fibers were not developed at first with fishing rods in mind . Military and industrial applications came first . Their use as rod blank material is a side benifit . I don't think S glass is used enough and/or underdeveloped as rod blank material in comparision to E glass and graphite . The best rod blanks , no matter what they are made of are yet to come .

Date: March 13, 2005 07:36PM

Joseph,
You are no doubt right that we will have better blanks in the future than we have today but I doubt that any major inprovements will take place using the same materials and manufacturing processes that are being used today. Graphite and glass prepregs that are optimized for fishing rod applications have been available for quite a few years. In my judgement the technology has been relatively unchanged for about 10 years and the improvements have been small.
I think that for blanks to be developed that are significanly lighter in weight, while maintaining or increasing the high modulus or stiffness, while maintaining or improving the toughness or durability and not significantly increasing in cost is going to take a breakthrough of some sort in materials and probably manufacturing processes as well. I think that todays graphite has been pushed to the limit unless the tensile strength can be increased a good deal. As you increase the modulus the strain energy or toughness drops and a higher modulus rod that is easier to break is not the answer.
On the other side of the coin, I really think that if you objectively look at the performance of the blanks that we have available today versis what was available 20 or 30 years ago, they are pretty fantastic. They are a pleasure to fish with as compared to the clubs that we were using 30 years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster