I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line up your guides
Posted by: Rich julian (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:39PM

Does anybody out there have any special tricks to lining up the guides ,other than eyeballing then down the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line up your guides
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:59PM

I cut an old reel foot off and I put this in the reel seat to help line up the first guide. I just center the piece cut off on the reel foot around the blank and then without moving anything, glance up at the first guide to ensure that it's centered also. After making sure the first guide is correct, just eyeball the rest of them with it as the guide.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 05:03PM

Rich; turn the rod over with Guides on Bottom it is easier to see if they are centered on blank. I still use the Mk-1 Mod-II Eyeball to line them up

Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.154.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 05:47PM

The old eyeball still works for me.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:00PM

Eyeball upside down like Barry's method...of course after getting at least one lined up with the seat.

Jay

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:01PM

Ditto the guides on bottom, and eyeballing it. Look down from above and well back. Look for equal amounts of open space inside each guide eye on both sides of the blank.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.180.65.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:37PM

I took the reel I designed the rod for ( A stradic and using the concept system) put it in the reel seat, the tied a piece of dark fireline to the spindle, and ran it down through the guides, once I got the tip and the reel on the same plane, I just added a 1/4oz dipsy sinker to the end and allow the tension to center the line.

On the lighter rod, I used a 1/8 oz jig head, (Hook cut off)

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:04PM

As some already suggested, use the reel foot from a casting (convetional) reel.

I use the reel foot from a Penn International 30, it has a nice wide and flat surface that allows you to eyeball everything better and keep things centered. You can order the reel foot by itself, or at least I did some 10 years ago. Don't know if you still can.

Years ago I ordered one of those laser alignment accessoried for one of my lathes, it was money wasted because I still wound up eyeballing the blank after using the laser.

Lou

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:48PM

Eather of the fore mention well work. I have my shop light directly ove the center of my wrapping lath. That way the light sends a light shadow right down the center of my blank. So I use that for my center line as I wrap. I need vary little ajusting as I wrap
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:40PM

I've used lines and I've used lasers. To me, eyeballing is the best way. You are not only lining up the guides to the blank but also to each other and vise versa. Only the eye can tell you if everything is on track.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:48PM

Mick it all depends on how many bourbons or scotchs you had.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:07AM

Between Myles & Mick, there must be a LOT of interesting guide layouts out there (now I know where the spiral wrap got started)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:50AM

Myles give me a scotch please

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.59.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:16AM

I do it from the tip top down to the butt. Just make sure your top lines up with the reel seat. Then I wrap one aline then another etc
Also the best light is outside daylight

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:30AM

Myles is that called" The Down Under Double scotch Wrap" Works for me

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.71.59.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:40AM

that's double shooters

Posted by: Brent Boxall (---.lafayt01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:11AM

I tape a 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" long piece of wood to the reel seat. This helps to instantly see at a distance if the rod is twisted. Then eyeball down the blank and check to see that the guides are straight up.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:34PM

My daughter bought me a wonderful laser level for Christmas (Sears) and a friend of mine bought me another one (Ryobi). These are wonderful tools. One has a "cross hair" view (intersecting horizontal/vertical planes). I tried them & drove myself crazy with them (natural curvature of the blanks; droop over distance on light rods). I use them to hang pictures, build cabinets, align ceramic floor and wall tiles. I even keep one in the rod building shop - but it never gets used for that. What I found is that aligning the reel seat center line with the tip top with a piece of heavy cord then building from the tip top back (where the guides are closer together) gets the initial alignment very close. Once the guides are all in place I rotate the rod "guides down" and look across the top of the blank to see if the eyes are equidistant. "Final" step is to hold it up - again guides down and do the 'eyeball thing' . Minus "tinnies" or "Down Under double vision scotch wraps" it works for me.

Posted by: Rich julian (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:57PM

Thank's for the opinions guy's,some good recommendations.

Posted by: Richard Eisinger (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:40PM

I also recomend usind a laser level (black & decker LZR3)
Using a soft jaw vice i clamp the but of the blank and tape the laser level centraly on top.
An easily visible red line can be projected down the blank from but to tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster