I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adding weight to balance handle
Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.37.120.214.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:50PM

I would like to add weight to the rear grip of a fresh water spinning rod I'm building, to balance it. I'm thinking of putting some stainless steel washers/slugs inside the butt plug, and expoxying them in. I imagine I could go to a longer butt grip, and achieve the balance, but I like the length of the grip I'm using. Does this sound like a good approach, or are there other methods I should consider? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding weight to balance handle
Posted by: robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:54PM

barry i used pac-bat butt caps before with pennies stuffed in em cause the customer was the same way short grip in the back and he was picky try that he never complained good luck

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:08PM

Myself, I have taken lead weights and epoxied them into the end of the blank.

Posted by: Tom Kelly (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:11PM

Barry, I had a similar situation with a light baitcasting rod. I mixed up some epoxy, added about an ounce of lead shot and shoved it inside the butt end of the blank. I taped it off and tapped the butt end on the ground several times to help it settle. It worked great..
Tom

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:43PM

I use the Pac Bay removable fighting butt hardware and build the butt on that, to look right on the particuler rod. Then, you can simply unscrew the butt and add washers. I like this way because the weight is not fixed and you can adjust as you see necessary.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:51PM

When chaning a reel or lure the balace is effected. If I were you I would go with Marks idea

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.210.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:06PM

I have used the same Pac Bay butts as Mark described , and have also used the Fuji caps with the weight system in it . The only problem is the Fuji is only adjusable to 3/8ths of an oz. . JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:02PM

I balance all my rods by inserting a lead "mushroom" iinto the butt end of the rod.

I make my own lead jigs so have access to a lead melter. I make a mold for the "mushrooms" by clamping two pieces of scrap hardwood together then drilling a hole about 3" deep using a drill that is slightly smaller than the ID of the butt end of the blank. Then I counterbore a larger hole in the top of the mold, concentric with the earlier drilled hole, to form the "head" of the mushroom. Typically, this counterbored hole is 3/4" dia and about 1/2" deep. I vary the depth of the counterbore to obtain different weights.

With the pieces still clamped together, I pour hot lead in the mold to form the mushroom. The hot lead chars the wood after a few pours but I only need a few mushrooms at a time anyway.

Once the lead cools and the casting is removed, I simply bend the stem of the mushroom slightly so that it fits snugly into the butt of the blank, then place the butt cap on the end of the handle in the normal way. I don't glue the mushroom or the cap in case I change to a different reel with a different weight.

Works great.

Skip

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:06PM

I built an SC III Avid 3S66MLF. The client wanted the tip to point up about 40 drees when it was at rest in his hand. I slipped a steel drill bit which fit with just enough clearance for Rod Bond which secured it solidly. As soon as he picked up the finished rod the first thing he noted was its great balance. Even though this is a permanent solution he plans to always use the same class of reel on this rod. Any reel weight differences will be slight and have little to no effect on the balance. I do the same for my own rods.

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.37.120.214.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:39PM

Wow! What a bunch of creative ideas. That's why I posted the question - it's great to have the input of so many experienced rod builders. Since this rod will be used with a specific reel that I'll have in possession to test out on the rod, I'm going to use one of the permanent methods. The rear grip is from Cabelas, with composite cork butt cap, so I'll probably do the lead shot and epoxy method, or the drill bit method. All ideas were much appreciated. Thanks for your help, guys.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.228.236.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:08AM

Recently I've switched to using heavy black rubber butt caps from Home Depot. On my 7' Loomis Mag Bass blanks, the rubber cap alone balances things nicely. Could add a small trolling sinker inside the end of the blank too, if more weight is needed.

Really like the mushroom lead idea, Skip!

TH

Posted by: Dale Richardson (139.72.158.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:03AM

I pour a custom lead weight and epoxy it into the butt of the blank. I start by finding a scrap of old blank that fits into the butt of the blank perfectly. I then use this scrap to find another scrap the exact same size and taper as the blank and use this as the mold for the weight. I've found that 2 1/2 inches of lead usually is perfect for most rods. The larger diameter of the blank, the more counter balance weight is needed but the 2 1/2 length still works most of the time. To get the length correct, I use a piece of wooden dowell and tape the end to fit into the piece of scrap mold (like a plunger in a syringe). I pour the lead into the mold, then cool the whole thing under a cold water tap. After cooling, the weight is easily removed from the mold by pushing the wooden dowel plunger. What you end up with is a perfectly fitted, tapered weight that slides into the butt of the blank. Of course, this should be the last step of the construction process after everthing is done and the reel is on the rod. In the past three years, I've only had to "adjust" the weight one time that I can remember. It's pretty hard to add weight but a few seconds with the drill can remove weight if needed. Put the butt cap on and you're done. Don't forget to wear a respirator during the lead melting and pouring process. The fumes are toxic!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster