I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage TCR 6wt blank - Guides
Posted by: Robert Baker (---.dynamic.mts.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:08PM

I am looking into purchasing a 9 foot 6 weight Sage TCR blank to build a freshwater fly rod. I plan on using REC Recoil heavy snake guides.

I couldn't find the guide sizing/spacing charts at the Sage site, so I emailed them. They emailed me the guide size/spacing charts for the Xi2 series, instructing me to follow this chart. However, I couldn't open the format of program they sent the spacing and sizing chart on...

- My first question is, does that sound right to you? I mean, using the Xi2 size/spacing charts for the TCR series? If Sage recommends it then you'd think it would be right...

- Second, has anyone out there built a 6wt TCR rod? If so, what size guides did you use?

- Third, and last question, any suggestions as to the thread colour to best match the same colour of the blank? Wondering what Sage might use...

Thanks in advance,

Robert Baker
Manitoba, Canada

p.s. just finished my first feather inlay on an XP 7wt and it looks great, thanks to the great tips on this board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage TCR 6wt blank - Guides
Posted by: Rich julian (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:51PM

Robert,I've never built a TCR but as far as dealing with Sage I have never had a problem getting them to answer my questions ,As far as the layout of guides go I'd lay it out like a 690 XP before I would a Xi2,the difference between the XP and TCR is probably very slight if not the same.As far as the thread I'd e-mail them They use Gudebrod brand and not the NCP type.No color preserver on the wraps.Hope this helps~Rich

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 12, 2005 05:06PM

Hi Robert
Maybee i can help you on guide spacings for your TCR as i already own a factory rod 691-4TCR and having recently built one from a blank myself.
From the tip ring then to the centre of the next ring as follows

9mm.11mm,13mm,15.5mm,20mm (the 20mm ring is incorporated in the female spigot wrap),21mm,22.5mm,24mm(24mm is also incorporated in the female spigot wrap),29mm,29mm then it is 50mm to the top of the cork handle.
Hope this helps

Bryan

sorry i also meant to say that the sage tcr is apparently built with rust thread but i like the look of plain old black without any preserver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2005 05:11PM by Bryan Ion.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 07:04PM

I wouldn't use the heavy gauge guides on such a light rod. The single foot guides would also make for a lighter rod do the the lack of extra thread and epoxy for the second wrap on each guide. #1 are the smallest single foots they make so I probably have a # 12 stripper, #4, #2, than #1s to the tip. If your into asthetics the REC tip top isn't it, they looks like they were made out of a beer can. A standard tip top would look nicer.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:35AM

The nice thing about the Recoil snakes is that they are lighter than chrome plated snakes of the same size,so even by going with the heavy wire Recoils,you'll still end up with lighter guides than what Sage uses on their factory rods(provided you use the same size or smaller guides),and regardless of the guides you choose,that rod will be a SCREAMER.

Since such a rod could probably do the job of most 7wts or better,and would make a great light salt water rod,I would definitely use the heavier model Recoil guides.Since the Recoils are lighter than comparible snake guides anyway,you could afford to go with a slightly larger guide if you wanted and not worry quite as much about excess weight as you would going up in size with most guides(nice for multi tip lines or some salt water situations).

Posted by: Joe Sullivan (---.indstr01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 10:56AM

Robert,

If you still have it, can you forward me the spacing chart for the Xi2 series rods? Im building the 8 wieght Xi2 and couldnt find spacing on the Sage site. You can email it to me at jsulli3686@aol.com.

Thanks!

Joe Sullivan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster