I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread tensioner
Posted by: Stan Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:16PM

I have a Pac Bay power wrapper and it does a fine job,however I woul like to get away from the sewing machine type thread tensioners and find something else with a spool tention, with some kind of spring so when my thread is backed off it won't go all over the place. I have seen thes somewhere but can't remember where?
Any help where I may purchase such an asembly would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot fellas,
Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tensioner
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:01AM

Stan,Check out this thread,it may be what you are looking for.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:38AM

I modified mine by attaching a U bracket to mine. I tooka U barcket ran a threaded rod threw it. I place a flat washer on both side of a spool a spring on each side, then place 2 more flat washers on each side between the sping and the U bracket. On the outside of the rod I place thumb screws to tighten the tension on the thread spool works graetfor me.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.240.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 06:46AM

Don't know that machine, but I have a threaded rod with a hard nylon washer on first, then the thread, then another washer, spring, another washer, then a wing nut.
The surfaces of the washers are sanded with 600 wet sandpaper, the contact surface of the wing nut is also sanded. Tension is fully addjustable no problems
Also check the photo page under equipment for more ideas

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.147.50.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 08:47AM

Look at Cabela's catalog, they are about $5.00

Date: March 12, 2005 08:57AM

Yea but tension on the spool works better then on the thread. With some thing flexible like a spring also on the thread to take up slack so you can turn back and fix boo boo's

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:43AM

Stan; if you decide to do-it-yourself I have a Choke cable core (spring steel wire)if you need a piece give me your Snail Mail address

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:28AM

At Charlotte, Pacific Bay was showing a thread tensioner similar to what you (and myself) want. They did not have it on rollers for the Rodsmith however. (When I went back for a second look it was gone) It was on rollers for something else. It would hold two spools of thread, to which tension was applied by springs to the spools. The thread was passed from the spool to a straight stiff wire guide toward the rod. From what I could see, it could be easily modified to fit the Rodsmith. They were somewhat "gray" as to purchasing this tensioner for the Rodsmith. I too have a PB Rodsmith. That sandwhich type tensioner lacks a lot to be desired. Gudebrod also has a similar tensioner on their $60. hand wrapper. I too am looking for this type of tensioner. If we can find the tensioner (or build it), it could be easily attached to the thread station of the Rodsmith. (This would require removal of the existing temsioner and thread holders/guides from the base plate) I too am looking someone who markets this tensioner for or on a PB base plate. Maybe someone on this Phorum or a sponsor markets such a tensioner.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:10AM

The "McGyvers" among you ought to be able to do something with Norm Norlander's adjustable fly tying bobbin....it's like a measuring tape with a clutch....the thread goes out so far, the clutch kicks in, providing tesnion at that point, and poof...it retracts back to zero, if you have to take the rod off the steadies, or back-wind to correct something.. Norm makes the Nor-Vise, and info can be found at his web page.

Date: March 12, 2005 11:46AM

Not haveing the machine in front of me, and only seeing small pictures of it. There is a Base plate. What if an upright is attached to this. Square piece of acrilic maybe 1 by 2" Screwed from below. Then rods going thought this at right angles for the thread spools. A spool can be put on each end with washers and wing nuts and spring. This would need to face the builder on the other side of the machine. If possible. On the back of the upright a spring is screwed onto the upright going streight up. Couple of eye hooks for the thread to pass though. Mine the thread comes from the holder to the top of the blank. Spring is pulled down, thread goes though a shaped hook. When backing up - the spring takes up the tension.
If the base plate is too weak, make a new one.
Look at the picture of equipment willierods [www.fishingphotos.net] this is an old picture. Where the threads are

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:05PM

You may want to talk with Tom Brown at Pac Bay
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:30PM

I made a simple tensioner much like what Bill described. Threaded rod (or bolt), washers, spring, and wing nut. When I need to run the blank backwards I simply take one hand and turn the thread back on the spool. No unravelling on the blank.

Jay

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:17PM

Stan.
I have the pac bay also,I was having trouble using the thread tensioner that they use for metallic thread.So I built my own carriage that rides in the slot of the bed. I used plexiglas from home depot. The carriage base is 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 the up right is 5 1/2 x 3 glued this not quite center with crazy glue .then I cut two pieces of wood 5/16 x 5 1/2 srewed them to the top of the up right.then I orderd a table clamp rod wrapper from Mud Hole a sponsor at the left of the screen for $12.95 However they now have a differnt type out now you might want to try , just clickon Mud Hole at the left and click on new products and scroll down to table top thread tensioner for $18.95.Now For rollers I founed a set of glass shower doors in the trash dumpster at work with rollers that just attaches with a clamp type jaw that you use a screw driver.I added two more rollers from Home Depot so that the base rides at top and bottom in slot of the bed of the pac bay.
Stan, I do have an extra set of rollers if you would like to build you a carriage like decribed above give me your snail mail and I would be more than happy to send them to you. Hope I was of some help.Good luck.

<<<DON>>>
<<< AT HOBBYRODS>>>

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:49AM

Most of the descriptions in this thread deal with putting some sort of friction on the spool instead of on the thread itself. They all seem to work fine but do not, by themselves, maintain tension when backing off a few rod turns to correct a problem.

The addition of a long flat spring with a tip guide or roller at the end solves the second problem. The longer the spring the more travel that is available to keep tension on the thread as you unwind. I use washers and springs pressing the spool to set the tension just as most of the others do. Then, I use a spring / roller device that goes in the bottom of a patio screen door to maintain tension (bought it at ACE Hardware) It has a nifty roller and the flat spring. If you want more travel, try a section of band-saw blade. They come on various widths so provide various amounts of tension. There are probably other equally springy materials as well.

Skip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster