I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Tip
Posted by: Matt Koloch (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:03PM

I got the tip top for a rod I'm currently building. The tip top and the rod tip are pretty close in diameter and the tip top won't go on. Is it ok, to scrap the rod blank, in a widdling type fashion to make the tip top fit. Or will that weaken the blank to much. Or should I just return the tip top for the next size up?

I would appreciate some input.

Thanks
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Tip
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:18PM

Matt, I'd return it and get the correct size!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:28PM

I would keep that tip top, and buy another one. WHy would you bother with sending back the tip, it's not even worth the hassle

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:43PM

Depends on how close it is and whether the blank has finish on it......I've made a very close tip work by lightly heating the tip of the blank and scraping off just the finish with a blade to make it fit...(then again, you can never have too many tip tops)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 07:23PM

Get the right size.Heating is not recomended(you may end up with a bigger tip closer to the butt if you heat it).Tom had a good suggestion in RMM to but the target size and one bigger and one smaller.The bigger can be shimmed with an underwrap to snug it up if need be.Unless you have a walk in rod building supply store keep the smaller.They are good to keep even in the tackle box(saved many trips for people this way).As far as Tom`s suggestion he is right on the money for both the buyer and the seller(keep the sponsers in the green and keep the rod builders working efficiently).I am spoiled due to the fact that I have three suppliers within 5 miles and two are on the way to work and open at 5:00am.The luxury of bringing the rod to fit the blank is great.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.142.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:22PM

If you plan to do this for a while every time you order a tip top get several in different sizes this way you build up a stock. Do the same with other guides also

Posted by: Stan Gregory (65.171.206.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:30PM

Agree with Bill. I like to order the barrle size I think is needed and the next size up as well.

Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.142.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:50PM

Thanks Stan,
Also if you are going to use say concept guides , order a set of cheap ones from size 30 down to 7. This way you will have a set you can use for setting up the guide sizes on a rod and you can see what to order

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:37PM

Matt,
If you scrape the blank and all you remove is the finish it will not weaken the blank. I have done this many, many times to make a tip fit tightly that was slightly too small. Be careful though you only want to remove the finish. You do not want to scrape into the graphite.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 08:13AM

I agree its's better to have an assortment of tips and get the correct size but sometimes in a small shop this is hard to do. I have on occasion drilled out a tip to make it fit. This is only practible when it is a very close fit and I had a drill bit that was the right size. I will caution you that I have also ruined a couple of tips in so doing this but then again if you need to finish the rod on a deadline it could work. You will have to balance this against the time it would take to get a replacement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster