I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver changing thread color?
Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.ms.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 11:58AM

I am new to rodbuilding and last night wrapped my first guide. Everything looked all good after a lot of preliminary experimentation.

I applied a water based color preserver to the wrap to "lock" it in place before moving on to another guide when I noticed something strange. The thread (nylon) took on a blotchy transparent look to it. I was surprised as that I exactly what I thought the CP prevented in the first place.

I am wrapping a bright pink thread on a dark gray blank. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver changing thread color?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:17PM

Two things - first, the thread should turn uniformly dark. When dry, the color will come back up. Second, if you see blotches, that's not the color preserver, that's the blank showing through the spaces between threads that aren't closely packed together. Look at it under magnification and you'll see what I mean.

Pink over a grey blank will be tough. You can do it, but I might recomment NCP pink with CP for the overall best results.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:23PM

Something I learned from fly tying that I carried over into rod building was to always be sure I washed my hands with soap prior to working with thread. It's really important in rod building because you can easily contaminate the thread. I don't know if that's what happened but it may be a possibility. Another possiblity is that the thread was contaminated when it came to you. You might try stipping off the first 2 or 3 layers of thread from the spool and throw it away, then start from there.

I haven't used water based CP for many years, but I seem to recall that the thread would turn transparent when it was first applied and then become more opaque as it dried. You also have to sure that you really soak the thread with it and wick the excess off the bottom. Did the thread change appearance after the CP was completely dry?

I'm sure others will jump in with more insight on water based CP.

Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.ms.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:30PM

I think that I washed my hands well and I think the thread is clean because I blew a layer or two of thread attempting to get my first wrap right ;)

Is there some better option for the color preserver than water-based? I am a newby so any suggestions are appreciated.

I did saturate the threads with a brush and wipe off the excess. The CP was a milky color at first. I let it dry for 6 hours and it didn't seem to brighten back to the original color of the thread.

I am leaning towards the thread packing being the problem. I will investigate tonight under magnification and come back with some details.

Should I be thinning the CP before applying it? I have heard to thin it 2:1.

Thanks,
Sam.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:56PM

When I use CP, which isn't very often, I use Gudebrod 811. It's a urethane based CP, and is completely clear, but sort of syrupy. I think most people recommend against thinning CP.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 01:45PM

Samer, I had the exact same thing happen on a test wrap on an old gloss black blank. I used bright pink thread (nylon size A) and when I applied the water based color preserver the thread went translucent. After about 1 hour I checked the wrap, and it was back to the original color. I would inspect the tightness of your wraps, or suspect the color preserver. My color preserver is clear, not milky.

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 03:26PM

I don't know how others do it, but I would not put CP or anything on a wrap until I have done ALL of the wraps. That way I can adjust spacing and alignment if needed (for me it always is) without any trouble. Good Luck!

Posted by: Karel Gol (---.tnt38.rtm1.nld.da.uu.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 04:23PM

Samer, from your posting it is not quite clear to me if you waited for the CP to dry. My first feather inlay i made with a blue jay feather on a forecast (dark blue) blank. I used Gudebrod CP to stick the feather to the blank and when coating the feather with thinned CP noticed the exact effect which you describe, but after about an hour i saw the bright blue color of the feather returning. Did this allready happen with your guide wraps?

Karel Gol

Posted by: Steve Rushing (65.83.254.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:14AM

Samer - I did a pink on black rod for my daughter. I used Gudebrod 811 and I experienced very similiar results as you when using nylon thread for the reasons Tom K gave. It seemed no matter how much I packed, I would get a spot or botch somewhere on a wrap. Even though they were not noticable except to me, the rod had to be perfect for the princess :)

This may not help you because it changes the color theme slightly (or may be a lot), but I switched to a Sulky metallic that is a few shades darker pink and with a little sparkle. I still had to pack really, really tight, but I did not have to use CP and best of all it eliminated the blank showing through being noticeable at all.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:55PM

Just paint the area under the wrap white paint and your problem will be solved

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster