I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two more begginer questions
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:12AM

Well I finished a couple of practice swings with flex coat high build and they came out pretty nice except for those darn thread tie off pieces. They showed through all right with this tiny bump. Bubbles were no problem. Any tips on hiding the tie off piece? My next issue is that the guide set I recieved only has one stripping guide. Should I really worry on a 9' 4wt. Thanks Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two more begginer questions
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:25AM

cut it off flat with a very sharp razor blade after the first coat then recoat with second coat

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:46AM

One stripper on that rod is all you need, Tom. Tips on hiding the tag end: 1- put the tag end through your "pull-through-loop" (does that have a proper name?) then pull the loop just until you snug the tag end against your last wrap. Cut the tag end close to the loop. Pull the loop through at an angle to ensure the end will get burried under your wraps. OR 2- Pull the tag end through the wrap with your loop. Cut the tag end as flush to the wrap as possible with a razor, then quickly "flame" the wrap with a lighter or alcohol lamp. A quick pass or 2 with the flame will singe flat any loose fuzzies or tips hanging out, but won't burn your entire wrap (trust me, you'll probably burn through a wrap every now and then using this method)

Keep wrappin'

Tim

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 01:09AM

Tim's pointers are good; I'd add to start the tie-off loop in sooner if you're going to cut the tag end before pulling through. I'd get 10 or even more wraps on top of the tie-off loop; I do it this way.

If you use the lighter method, keep the lighter to the SIDE of the wrap, never underneath it.

Putter

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 06:46AM

When I am finishing a wrap and doing the tie off, I pull the thread all the way through the wrap and then pull it tight back the direction that I tied off from and hold a very sharp razor parralell to the blank laying it right on the wraps to cut it off. When I do that, it makes a slight gap in the threads and with a quick burnish I never see a nubby on the tie off end. Works for me anyway.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 09:53AM

Burnishing is a good way to smooth it out, if you don't cut it close like Tim suggested.

I always use the pointed end of my burnishing tool to tuck any end piece back under the wraps, then burnish. No issue with the bumpy end.

If you cut before pulling it through, you must start the tie-off loop sooner, or you still end up with the tag end sticking out.

You'll get it.

Terry

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 10, 2005 10:38AM

Pull it completely under and burnish the entry point.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: March 10, 2005 11:39AM

To fix the problem you already have, do as Travis said. Carefully slice off any unwanted bumps with a new single-edge razor & recoat. It's likely you will have to do this to at least one wrap on every rod you build...I sure do.

Jay

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 10:34PM

Very good advise gentleman. I will try a few of these and come to an answer. Thanks Tom

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 10:35PM

Slice and recoat, as mentioned. If you are worried about thickness, use permagloss as the second coat. Covers nicely and has no negative effect on FC.

I also use a dental pick to help get rid of them when they show up. Put the point in between the threads a couple of wraps in front of the tag end and "pull" it down in the direction that you would be "tightening" the tag end. It will snag the tag and pull it under nicely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster