I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best small cranbait blank
Posted by: Brody Ward (---.dyn.adsl.pldi.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:48PM

I would like to build my first rod. First of all, what equipment books etc. should I buy before I try to build my rod. What is the best crankbait blank out there for throwing small crankbaits such as bandit 200's? I would like for the rod to be 6' or 6'6". What are some good quality guides to put on it that aren't too expensive, and what reel seat would you suggest that I use?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best small cranbait blank
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:33PM

I built my buddy a crankbait rod for throwing bandit 300 series and 200 series. I built it for spinning reels with a 17mm reel seat. It was built on a cascades blank IC723. It is rated as a 10-17 linemed/heavy fast action. However I noticed that is was more of a moderate action than fast. Built on the SC-14 handle kit it bent a little less than halfway down. The moderate tip lets the crankbaits really work and throws these little sized crankbaits a good distance with ease. I don't know if this blank is the best or not (there are better blanks out there). But with the deals that Mudhole as on these it is hard to beat the price for the quality of the rod. The rod is 6ft in length. As far as guides I use Fuji Alconites or sometimes Hardloys (the Alconites are better, more durable, and have a better ceramic). Hardloys I use for crappie rods and rods that don't need to be super lite.

Buy yourself Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide read it and you will find what supplies you need and what you can get by without.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:19AM

I just built a casting rod for the same application but with a forecast fiberglass blank 723

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:50AM

St. Croix SCIII model 3C66MM is ideal as a crankbait blank for lures up to 1/2 oz.
For guides you could consider ATC Tichrome frame/zirconia ring or the lesser cost black or chrome stainless frame with either the blue or gold zirconia ring. We keep these in regular stock.
Fuji alconites are also a good choice for guides on that blank.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Erik Hilliard (66.98.96.---)
Date: March 10, 2005 07:10AM

I've been researching rods for the same purpose the last few days. I've decided to go with the Rainshadow/Forecast SPG723. It's an E-glass rod. It is relatively heavy at 2.5 oz., but it only costs $10.50. I have also considered the St. Croix 2C66MM. It is a graphite blank so it weighs less, at 1.5 oz. It can be had for under $50. Might just build both of them to see which I like better.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2005 07:36AM

I'll second what Rich said about the St. Croix 3C66MM, and will note that although it is listed a "casting" rod in the catalogs, it can just as well be built as a spinning rod, which is what I did. I also use St. Croix SCIII MLF (3S66MLF) blanks for light crankbait applications (up to 1/4 oz lures), I like the casting and sensitivity aspects of those blanks better, although the action of the moderate action blank is better for handling the fish. (Hint: build both!)

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 12:49PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast has also come out with an RX7 graphite Crank Bait Blank. You will be pleasently surprised with this choice. Please feel to check them out on our New Website at www.batsonenterprises.com. If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of our many Authorized distributors or us. The SPG is also a good choice. If you have not received our new Blank catalog please feel free to contact us.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
877-875-2381
wbatson@olypen.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster