I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help on desiging a NASCAR fly rod.
Posted by: Dennis Lee (---.83.152.146.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:35AM

I am returning to rod building after a two year sabbatical. The return is from my visit to the Charlotte show, just reestablished my love of building.

A NASCAR fly rod for a friend is my next adventure. From what I saw at the show, you guys have been thinking out-side-of-the-box on your designs. I would like to get some input and pick you brains a bit for design help from tip to butt.

Any and all HELP will be appreciated. My brain works from the engineer side and not from the artist side. I am asking for help in the design concept.

Dennis Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help on desiging a NASCAR fly rod.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:46AM

Check out the cars they drive. Pick one you like then use the colors on the rod

Posted by: Dennis Lee (---.83.152.146.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:58AM

The car is white with red numbers. I am wanting to go all out on this rod, not just colors of thread wrap.

Posted by: Jeff Newby (199.34.6.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:44AM

How about incorporating a checkered flag, similar the the American flag pattern in the Clemens thread art book.

Jeff
Lets Go Mets!

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:32AM

Check out a Hobby shop that sells RC cars. The should have, or have access to, miniature stickers. The local shop here had a sheet of all the stickers you'd find on Tony Stewarts car and they were of the "waterslide" type. My guess is that they would be on the thin side and tear easily like the older waterslide paper but it would surely work. The local shop had about a dozen different cars. I've thought about doing a rod like this for a friend and using a lot of the contingency sponsor decals as well as the cars number decals. it would really load up the butt with busy decals but then again I've never seen a nascar fan wearing all kahki!!!

Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:40AM

I built a couple of models. They all come with decals that are pretty good. you might want to go that route. Purchase the model to get the decals you want. The ones I bought were 12 dollars each.

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 01:57PM

Dennis,
You didn't say how much experience you had building rods. If you have done weaving before you could weave in all kinds of cool stuff, Car number or drivers name just to get the thought process going.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:22PM

Dennis,

You did not say what wgt, lgt, etc you are going to build. If it is a rod big enough to have a fighting butt you could insert a small pen (like a hat or lapel pin) in the butt and epoxy over it. On another they have published a weave of Dale Ernhart signature (forgive my spelling). If you need info on the weave email me direct.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:33PM

I've done 2 rods in NASCAR themes , used the car colors and the little waterslides as Andrew has mentioned . I did an optical chevron in black and white over the main color (car) . I also did some Testors splatter on the black seat in the same car color (taped off the hoods) , gave it a kinda graphic look like you see on the paint schemes on some cars . Both guys were very pleased . Have fun , JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 11:08PM

A true NASCAR fan would be thrilled with 100 mile-an-hour, duck, tape. Sorry I couldn't resist. On a serious note a 4'' section of white/epoxy at the butt with air brushed black blocks that fade out toward the tip would give a awesome look, especially if you could get some pearlessecne in the mix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster