I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Slip on Tie Off
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 09:20PM

This happens on closed wraps, when you go to tie off the butt end of the wrap and there is no CP applied. What happens is the tie off thread doesn't contact the blank, and when you cut all the threads on teh "scrap" side of the wrap, the tension from the threads being wrapped around the blank forces teh wrap to compress, and the wrap slips. Sounds like a creak. I've had it happen to me mostly on elongated patterns, and as much as 5mm. A friend just informed me he had his wrap slip 7mm, which is a LOT. THreads bubbled up on him as well.

How to prevent this from happeneing - I've reduced the amount of slip I get by using a longer tie off wrap before cutting, as well as a lot more tension. I sipp get a drop of creaking, but not anything noticeable. Anothe thing you can do, is apply a coat of CP, although this makes teh tie off lumpy & bumpy. If you go this route and want to reduce the bumpy tie off, I suggest trying to do a tie off 1/2 as long as you want, then applying a coat of CP, then starting the tie off where you left off and then cuttin the excess. I've never done this, but I think it would work.

Fixing a pattern that has compressed, and the threads have bubbled up - the tension has loosened considerably. I know one person who wraps small MOno around his weaves, aplies a coat of CP, when it's almost dry he unpeels teh Mono, then applies another coa. I think this will work for butt wraps as well, although I've never tried.

Anyone have any suggestions r comments on this, please post them. I'm trying to talk my friend out of wrap suicide, he's considering slitting his wraps with a razorblade. CAn't let him do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Slip on Tie Off
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 10:18PM

I use CP on all my wraps and put the first coat of CP on the wrap itself before making the tie off wrap. I leave it off that area so that when I do make the tie off wrap the threads will flatten down nicely. Just my way of doing it.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 11:17PM

What I do is at the tie off ends is add ad littlle C/P about a 1/8 of a inch this way you have some corrective latitude if you have to correct some wraps, I also I also burnish the C/P in. I also use a small roller on my wrap to compress my threads in. In using a roller only roll in one direction
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 12:16AM

Billy --- pretty basic but folks can look here :

[www.kensfishingrods.com]

Yes, I do have to change the first photo from 'scratching the blank/ to MARKING the blank

Date: March 09, 2005 07:03AM

Specifically: [www.kensfishingrods.com]

Thanks.

Bob - what do you use to roll over teh threads? I will never do that again on metallics, as I use a stainless tool & it always tarnishes/fades the metallics. I usually don't need to burnish an entire wrap, only the last few threads where the wrap closed.

how to stop the slip
Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:36AM

Biilly, I used to have this happen to me a lot (I HATE cp and refuse to use it). No problems now! What I do is to cut a small area of the scrap threads away. Cut it real nice and pretty like. Put 3 or 4 drops of super glue onto a piece of aluminum foil. Dip the end of a tooth pick into the super glue and then touch the intersection of the freshly cut threads and the blank. The amount of super glue transferred is very small and does not show when the finish is applied. Breathing on the super glue will help it set up. Do this on each 90 degree axis and the wrap is anchored enough so that it won't move when the rest of the scrap threads are cut.

Dave

Re: how to stop the slip
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 10:59AM

I don't use CP. I start the end wrap and after about 10-15 turns I then take the tape off and trim.Got to have the right tension. Tricky

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 01:45PM

I use CP on the wrap before I tie off, but I leave the area that I am going to wrap over to allow things to smooth out a bit. It works out pretty well, the tie off is not lump free, but it is smoother that when I used to CP over the whole wrap.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 02:42PM

I also bevel my tie offs and feathether them off
Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 09, 2005 06:36PM

Scott - I think your way works teh best for how I do my tie-offs - 3 layers of thread (one to lock the wrap, another underwrap to match teh guide underwraps, and one more overwrap to match teh guide overwrap). THat's why I need to keep lumpyness to a minimum. I'll stick my my way, but if I do any on a larger diameter blank with elongated spacing, I think I'm gonna do what you do just to be safe.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.43.225.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:31PM

I am the one that has the suicidal tendencies that Billy mentioned. After talking with Billy, I have put the blade away, and will not be slitting anything. I will just make an extended tie off wrap to cover the bubbled up threads, and everything will be fine. Thanks Billy!!!!! I learn something new on every wrap I do. Thanks to all for the responses!!

Sean

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:04PM

Sean , you didn't screw up that purple wrap on the photo page did you ?? I hope between you and Billy that it was saved . JH

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.43.225.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:22PM

Saved it, John

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:10PM

That's one of the only purple wraps that i've seen that I liked............................ sorry 40..LOL
You going to Mikes this weekend ?? JD

Got Fish ?

Date: March 10, 2005 07:13AM

Don't apologize to me, I've only posted 1 picture of a purple wrap, and it was more Burgandy than Purple. And I don't lik eit much either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster