I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX7+906-4
Posted by: Tim Street (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 08:59PM

I have decided to go with the RX7+906-4 for my first rod to build. It is a really nice Chestnut Brown color, I am just wondering what you guys would suggest is a good thread color to go with? I was thinking a darker brown (dark chocolate) or something.

For the reel seat I have decided to go with the Gold U3SKC-G Forecast Skeleton parts kit, with a Forecast BNC/G Gloss Cocaboloa wood insert. For the guides I was thinking the Forecast Tich Gold Ring ones. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX7+906-4
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: March 08, 2005 09:43PM

A burgandy or maroon without color preserve looks really good. Dark Green or Brown as well.

David Banaka

Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 10:46PM

I think you are brave to use nice components on your first rod. Not to imply you shouldn't. I would just go slow, practice wrapping until you got it down, and make sure everything fits before hitting it with epoxy. Good luck.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:14AM

I haven't seen the color of the new RX7+ blanks yet,but one of my favorite wraps on a brown(looks especially good on any of the Sage blanks like the SLT or VPS) or matte black blank that will be matched with a medium to dark brown wood insert seat,is Black/Orange Gudebrod Classic Twist(0221).

With CP on it,it will stay a black/orange color,but without CP the orange darkens into a medium brown color and the black looks more like a really dark brown.On a brown or dark grey/black blank this thread becomes a gorgeous dark and light brown combination with just a shade of orange to it.It looks alot like wood grain and matches most darker burl woods beautifully.With some thin trim bands of metallic copper or dark gold,this is a great color that you should at least try out on a test wrap.

Dark greens or olives,and metallic bronze all look awsome against a brown blank as well.So do light colors without CP like Sunburst(what Sage uses on their SLT) or Gold.You can experiment with some combinations on the butt section or something before you make your choice and just use cooking oil or something to wet the wraps for a similar look to what you would get without CP.

I really like the 3 toned wraps that are shown here [www.michiganstreamside.com]

A 3 color combination of metallic bronze,dark brown,and metallic gold for trim done similar to the ones shown in this link looks absolutely amazing on brown blanks like the Sage RPL.There is also a shot of the Black/Orange Classic Twist(becomes brown) against a brown Sage blank,but the picture doesn't really do the wrap justice.In person the wrap has alot more depth to it.

Posted by: Tim Street (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 02:33PM

Thanks for your replies. I still haven't settled on a color yet, but am getting closer! I like the idea of burgandy, however now am thinking of using two colors.

Since this is my first rod, is using two colors of threads any harder? Or is it just a little more time?

Thanks

Tim

Posted by: David Banaka (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:09PM

Burgandy looks really nice with a close matching metalic inlay

David Banaka

Posted by: gary mcmanus (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 03:37PM

Hi Tim, I don't believe the wood insert you want will fit the skeleton you want to use. You might want to check the forecast wed site. I believe if you want gold hardware the insert available are rosewood, walnut, zebra. Gary

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2005 04:56PM

Hi Tim...Gary's right. The insert you've chosen is for the BUL5 seat. You can get ebony for the U3 as well, however. FYI, the gold on this seat is not a terribly authentic-looking gold. It adds some warmth and drama, but does look a bit yellowish or something that keeps me from falling in love with it. Just personal opinion, of course! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster