I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building first spiral wrap
Posted by: JIm Rosch (---.mmm.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 05:03PM

Hey guys, I need a little help on my first sprial wrap. I understand the concept I just need help on what size guides to order. Heres what I'm thinking, the blank is SCVMHF 7 ft Im thinking 0 guide a 16,60 a 10, 120 a 12, 180 a 10, then finish with 7 sf fly the rest of the way out. The reel will probably be a abu 7000 series. Does this sound about right to you guys. I know there are articles in rodmaker, Im waiting for the back issue and the april issue will be to late, unless someone cares to spill the beans on newer method (hint hint Tom) coming in april. Any help will be appreciated.

"Although my questions may seem simple to some, not asking them would make me simple."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2005 05:57PM by JIm Rosch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building first spiral wrap
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 06:30PM

Here is how I do it for bass rods. The first guide (closest to reel) is a size 12 at about 35 degrees, the next is a size 10 at around 85 degrees, then a size 8 at about 135 degrees, then a size 6 at 175 degrees, and a 6 at 180 degrees and 6's out to the tip. The degree setting are not set in stone though, you need to look what degrees will make as straight as possible of a line from the centered levelwind to the first 180 degree guide (use a thin piece of blank as a guide). I then look at how the line move across the first guide to try to make sure that when the levelwind is all the way to the right, it just touches the right side of the guide, and vice versa for when the levelwind is all the way to the left.

Also, the blank you mention is rated for 3/8 to 1oz lures and 10-20 pound line? If the is the right blank, I think a abu 7000 c3 (325 yds of 17# line)would be way overkill unless you are using it for something that a freshwater angler like me cannot think of. My guide sizes are for a bass tackle, the sizes you mention would be fine for say a 5600 or 6500 c3 (might look at 8's for the last guides instead of 7's if you are using really heavy line, that is what I do with my musky rods). WIth a wide spool reel like the 7000 or 6500 watch your distance to the first guide to make sure that the line does not stack to the side of the spiral, you will have to try and see what distance works, maybe start with the first guide around 20" from reel and go closer if you need to. You may need to go closer than that, or try a spiral method that keeps the line centered like RIch Forhan's method (try a search for "Revolver" on this site and his guide angles might come up)

Good luck

Dean Veltman

Posted by: JIm Rosch (---.mmm.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 07:09PM

Thanks Dean just the info I was looking for
Thanks again Jim

"Although my questions may seem simple to some, not asking them would make me simple."

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (66.211.72.---)
Date: March 09, 2005 07:11AM

Jim

Welcome to the wacky world of spiral wraps. These have me intrigued and though I've only complete one, more blanks are arriving any day to play with.

For kicks and additional understanding, I would suggest you do a lot of taping and test casting.

Here's a setup that I want to check out: 12 DF @ 0 (top) 8SF @ 90 and 8DF at 180 followed by one 8SF and then 7SF on out. I have not tried it yet but the 8 SF guide at 90 should get the line very close to the blank and therefore a straighter line to the bottom. I will be doing a lot of test casting on my next one before I wrap anything. The one rod that I did build went 12DF @ 0, 10DF @ 90, 8DF @ 180, 8SF x 2 and then 7 SF on out. It really casts very well.

My thoughts are that if you use any of the new very flexible lines, you may be able to make that transition guide small very quickly and thereby keep the line very close to the blank.

Whatever the case, test casting and playing with the set-ups will lead you to an understanding of what you think is best. And the discovery will be a little exciting and very rewarding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster