I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A bit off topic - White River Classic Fly Reels
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 11:23AM

Has anyone used these from Bass Pro Shops? They claim to be fully machined, disc drag and for $90 with an extra spool, it would hard to beat if they're any good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A bit off topic - White River Classic Fly Reels
Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 12:10PM

the 2.2oz ~ 2.5" Ultralight is VERY similar to the machined Click/Pawl Pflueger Supreme 1834....which is on @#$%& for ~$50
I have the 'import' version of the 1834 and 3 spools.....my favorite for 2 & 3wt rods.
5 years old and still going strong...

RB

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 12:52PM

I have the UL version and while it is similar in appearance to the Pfleuger Supreme 1834, it is also better machined and a full ounce lighter in weight. I have also played with the disk drag versions and they are also very nice.

The UL version is by far one of the best UL fly reels available for under $100, especially for those short 0-2wt rods where a reel under 3 ounces is preferred.

HTH,

Lou

Date: March 08, 2005 12:56PM

Lou...you're right....I was quick to post. the UL is only 2.2oz.

Date: March 08, 2005 12:57PM

...can extra spools be bought for the UL ?
RB

Date: March 08, 2005 12:59PM

This will be used on a 3 weight. It's part of my son's middle school graduation present, rod, reel and line. The disc drag version appeals to me more than the UL version because he could also use it on a 4 weight.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.224.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 01:52PM

If you plan to carry a few lines Orvis has a disk that is a Caset. This way you don't have the handle sticking in your chest in your pocket About $70.00

Date: March 08, 2005 03:11PM

The cassette system appeals to me but not for a 3 weight. The smallest cassette reel is right at 6 oz, nearly twice the weight of the Pflueger and about 50% heavier than the White River.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 05:49PM

I own and use several of Bass Pro's fly reels. You just can't beat them for the $$. I think you are talking about their white river classic reel. I think it is a fine reel. The drag is very smooth and it is finished very well. I have had no problems at all with it. I also own a CV2 which I think competes with the best reels out there. The reel I use for my lightweight fly rod is the smallest hobbs creek large arbor reel. It only cost $40 but has worked flawlessly also. These reels are imported and don't have a lifetime warranty like some others but for me the cost savings more than make up for that.

Greg

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: March 08, 2005 06:15PM

If you haven't yet checked out California Tackles fly reel, the Patriot, do so. It's very a very hot seller for me as the price is right and it's made by the same company that makes the White River Classic.

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Date: March 08, 2005 06:52PM

Greg,
The problem with the Hobbs Creek reel is that they don't list the weight, plus it's cast and I lean toward a machined reel

David,
The Patriot is a cast reel, correct?

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 09:32PM

Gerry - you are right the Hobbs Creek is cast and is probably a little heavier than the classic. Mine does balance my 7.5 ft 4 wt flyrod nicely though. Being a cast reel the fit and finish is not quite as good as a machined reel. It is still quite good though and the drag has handled several large fish for me without a problem. It is a good competent reel but not meant to compete with a machined reel. The previously mentioned patriot reel is also cast and not machined.
That being said my favorite reel is the Bass Pro CV2 and the classic is close behind. They are both exceptional reels. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2005 09:34PM by Greg Mitchell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster