I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat preference.
Posted by: Shawn Cahill (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:04PM

I was planing to build my first fly rod soon and to make it a little easier to start I will be getting a kit. The only thing I don't like about the kit is that it has a woven graphite real seat, and I've only used rods with aluminum. does the graphite usually have a cheap look/feel to it or is it better than I might expect? thats my only problem with it so I'm just kinda wondering if you guys with more experiance would stick with it or should I order and aluminum?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat preference.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:23PM

I like the small woven graphite reel seats on a smal 2wt or 3wt rod, they're really light. It depends on what you're building, if you're making an 8wt or 10wt rod, you might want to look at a good aluminum saltwater type, in mid weight rods, the nice seats with a wood insert is fine - just my preferences here and I'm sure there will be many that voice theirs.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:49PM

Is it just the insert that's woven graphite or the entire reel seat?

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 05:12PM

If you don't like the idea of woven graphite (a "taste" issue you need to answer for yourself), then why stick with that particular kit? There are plenty of prepackaged kits to choose from that will have the length/weight you want/need. Pick another kit or shop around for another vendor. If all else fails, purchase the pieces you really want one at a time and ask questions about the "sticky details" here on this board...that's why we all come here, to share our knowledge & opinions on this hobby/business/passion we all have.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Robert Farrand (---.227.198.79.bay.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 05:18PM

I would stick with aluminum even though the graphite composite reel seats are stronger.
Most fly fisherman will stick with traditional aluminum or nickel silver.
(Just one of them things you can’t explain away) I have a feeling most traditionalist view the graphite composite reel seats as just some kind of plastic (go figure?)

Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2005 05:30PM

You can call nearly any of the sponsors to the left and they'll be happy to assemble a kit for you; one that contains the components of your choice. These are all very helpful people and will bend over backwards to help you.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.127.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 05:37PM

the first fly rod for me this millenium was a temple fork outfitters 9 foot 5 weight professional in four pieces. it has an aluminum (i think) skeleton with a graphite composite/carbon fiber looking insert which i really liked.

then i started looking around and decided easily that i like fly rods with wood insert reel seats best.

then i discovered this web site. and saw the possibilities.

and now, i REALLY REALLY prefer wood inserts for the light trout fly rods i 'm assembling. with black hardware although nickle silver ties that on some days.

it's up to you to determine if you like the graphite seats.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:05PM

I like titanium coated aluminum for salt water. For everything else I really like wood inserts. There are many choices to match your other components.

Check out "Inserts by Les" on the left to see some really unique possibilities without spending a fortune. I got a buckeye burl and dark titanium reel seat with matching butt plug that is absolutely beautiful. I like it so much I started making my own. A custom wood inset can make an inexpensive blank look like a high end custom rod.

Tony

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 12:24PM

The buckeye is beautiful; picked some up from Andy Dear-Lamar- at the Charlotte show!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Shawn Cahill (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 09:11AM

wow, can't believe how many responses I got already, thanks alot guys. the rod I was gonna do is a 6wt for bass and trout for a while, till I get a 4wt. I don't plan on going after scoolies with this light of a rod so alluminum is kinda unessary. I think you guys are right about the wood, I probably will be much happier with the looks of wood (now which type do I want), thanks a million.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster