I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

e-poxy or ah-poxy
Posted by: Bill Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 03:11PM

I'm having trouble with pronouncing, is it e-poxy, like Doc Ski says it, or ah-poxy like everyone else in Florida says it and one more thing is it Doc Ski like water ski or like the blue sky. Thanks for the help Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: e-poxy or ah-poxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2005 03:53PM

I would think that E-poxy is the correct pronunciation. Although I'm not sure what difference it makes. Doc's last name is Lebanowski (did I get that right?) so I would think it's the water version.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:27PM

I agree with Tom, E-poxy is the correct, now we just have to get you guys over there to spell colour right.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 07:47PM

I gave David a bad time on his visual weave page; told him he spelled color wrong-he just grinned.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:12PM

Epoxy and Apoxy originated as trade names. Both cover a multitude of mostly two-part adhesives and resins. At least as much as I could gather during a short Google break.

Are you gluing with it or sealing wraps? I call the former epoxy and the latter finish, because the first is used more or less, to permanently attach handles and seats to the blank. I call the second finish, because I'm hoping that I can remove it if need be.

Since I'm on a roll, I call guides, guides, not eyes, because they'd go blind from poking them so often with fishing line, not string. And I attach my guides to a rod, not a pole. Wires are attached to poles. I don't think I would fish with a pole near any water, especially during a downpour.

I appreciate that Bill bravely stepped up to ask about correct pronunciation.

Patrick.

Posted by: jimmy w creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:00PM

Patrick, would you fish with a cane rod?

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.pm3-8.pit-ch.pa.localnet.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:11PM

Dale Clemens always pronounced it " eh-poxy".. at first,I thought he was Canadian :>}

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:46PM

My fattest dictionary (The Random House Dictionary of the English Language....the unabridged version) describes the pronunciation this way:

ep.ox.y (e pok! se) The ep in the first syllable rhymes with the word ebb...like an ebb tide. The last syllable (se) actually has a flat line over the e signalling it rhymes with the word "see".

So, all together it makes the correct pronunciation: eh-pox! -see which is the Dale Clemens way and not the TK way.

Please remember that this is but one fat dictionary's answer to the question. I will look into others to see if there are contrasting views.

Perhaps we should compile a list of pronunciations for all words pertaining to rod building. Hey Tom, since you have nothing to do all day...how about it?

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:31PM

Jimmy, Only if I wasn't using it to walk to my favorite fishing spots, locations, err, "holes"..... :>)

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.or4.marketscore.com)
Date: March 08, 2005 01:07AM

Simplify it...say.. "GLUE " !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 10:24PM

In these parts, it's E-poxie....eh-poxie, and ah-poxy would be binder-pilot-speak, and south of 49-speak... :-)

Contrary to what...
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2005 08:26AM

...Patrick said above, I sometimes fish with a pole. That's any long (rod-like?) thing to which I've tied some string (or line, whatever) at the top (tip?). If I put a reel on the pole, it becomes a rod.

I had this argument with my son-in-law who doesn't fish but does golf. He calls his golf sticks clubs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster