I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dust Removal From Guide Wraps?
Posted by: Rick Kaufmann (---.nas0.nbfd.pa.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:58PM

I finished the wraps on a D.C. 10' 8wt. Sig V about a week ago and have not had the time to apply any finish as yet. I probably should have, but neglected to cover the wraps when they were completed. Anyway, I now observed small amounts of dust clinging to the thread. Can I use an ordinary commercial type tack cloth to remove the dust prior to finishing, or am I asking for incompatibility problems between any residue left by the tack cloth and the epoxy (Flex Coat Lite)? Does anyone have experience with a dependable and safe method to do this? I wanted to apply the finish tommorrow as I have the day off. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks from a rookie,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dust Removal From Guide Wraps?
Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:33PM

The tack cloth will work fine to remove dust particles or you can use the sticky side of masking tape to do the same thing. Just dab the tack cloth or masking tape against the threads rather than rubbing.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:07PM

I use the masking tape method.Awhile back I seem to remember a post about the chemicals in the tack cloth possibly causing fisheyes in the finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:31AM

If you have a spray can of compressed air for your computer, that will work. Test blow it on the back of your hand. It shouldn't feel too cold or wet. If the can sprays any kind of cloud or gets cold, it's blowing a condensate or propellant and you don't want that to wet the thread. A clean & dry soft-bristle toothbrush can be used to remove whatever the compressed air won't blow away.

Next time you have to wait (who knows how long) more than a few hours between wrapping and finishing, cut open a virgin, unscented, plastic garbage bag, lengthwise, and cover the rod with that or a recent dry-cleaner bag. An ounce of that prevention will be worth a pound of this cure. IMO, -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: March 07, 2005 07:55AM

Surgical Blue Super Tackrag is anti-static and contains no silicone. Available at auto parts stores. Keep in air-tight container when not in use. Don't be misled, masking tape also can cause finish problems. If you must use masking tape, use 3M blue tape also available in auto parts stores.

Posted by: Rick Kaufmann (---.nas0.nbfd.pa.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:56AM

Thanks guys for all the good advice. Next time if I have to wait before finishing, I'll definitely cover the rod.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:20PM

Another nifty little device I use is a simple shaving brush. You know the type your grandfather used ! The bristles are soft, so they don't "friz" the thread and it doesn't leave behind any residue which most are worried about. Just becareful when you brush away the dust from the ferrel wraps that you don't brush toward the end and peel of your hard work ! ! !
Been using this brush for years, work great ! ! ! ! I do suggest getting a new one for yourself though, grampa may want his back ! ! !

Good wrappin,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster