I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX8+ 905 -4
Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:53PM

Thanks to the help of Rick Koontz, I finally decided on the above blank to build my 2nd rod (1st on my own) Could you please provide some help with quality components for it?

I want a blue thread that will go well with the blank. Any suggestions?

What is a nice matching nickel silver reel seat?

What are the best single foot guides? And what sizes (stripping guides included) do I need?

What size N/S winding check?

What size tip top?

What is a good cork grip?

Sorry for so many questions, but as you can tell, this is all new to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX8+ 905 -4
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:06PM

Hi Gary,

I've not built on one of those blanks, but there are a multitude of nickel silver reel seats out there that will match a 5 weight rod, just make sure the bore of the seat is larger than the butt diameter of the blank and you can build up the blank with thread, arbors, etc. to fit the seat. Hook and hackle has a nice looking set of nickle silver hardware that is reasonably priced.

For the winding check, you need to actually measure the blank where it will go to find the exact diameter but here is a formula that will get you very close. If you order the two sizes closest to what the formula says (one slightly larger and one smaller) one of them should fit with minimal work.

Winding Check Diameter = ((rod butt diameter - (tip size / 64))*((rod length - (grip and seat length)) / rod length)) + (tip size / 64) (I can send you an excell spread sheet if this is confusing)
Here's an example, my forecast 9'0" 4 piece 5 weight.

Butt Diameter: 0.400"
Tip Size: 4.5
Rod Length: 9'0" (108")
Grip Length: 7"
Reel Seat Length: 3.7"

Winding Check Diameter = (0.4 - 0.0703125)*((108 - (7+3.7))/108) + 0.0703125 = 0.367"

For the guides on my 5 weight I'm using a standard tip top, 5 #1, 2 #2, 1#3, 1#8 stripper, 1#12 stripper. I've been using Pac Bay chrome wire single foot snake guides and I'm very happy with them.

As for grips, I've just used rings and turned my own, sory I can't help you there.

For the tip top size, where ever you order your blank from should tell you the tip size. If it says the tip size is 4 use a size 4 tip top. (The number corresponds to the diameter of the tip of the rod in 64ths of an inch. So a size 4 would be 4/64 = 0.0625")

Cheers,

Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 03:54AM

Gary--you picked one of the finest blanks on the market at any price, IMHO. We received a selection of samples of the RX8+ blanks last fall and were floored...they are, in our opinion, the sweetest feeling, highest-performing "fast action" blanks out there, period. In fact, my personal go-to rod is now built on the exact model you chose! I guess I'm saying I like your taste! ;)

We'd be delighted to work with you putting the perfect package together for you with this blank, but even if you already have a supplier in mind here's my thoughts...

Reel Seat: I love the elegant and unique looks of the Struble U-24 seat...you can view it on our website at www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com under "Our Store", "Reel Seats", "Struble", "Nickel Silver" (or just search for u-24)...just click on the image in the list for more info and a larger pic. The U-20 is also very popular, and you can't rule out the new Forecast Nickel Silver seats either, the BNS101 and BNS102.

I'd STRONGLY recommend going with sf ceramics like Forecast's LTCFCG guides to get the most out of the staggering performance this blank will provide. If you must go ultra-light, try H&H standoff sf guides in their DLC coating or REC's Recoil RSFX sf nickel-titanium wire guides.

I can't remember the WC size off the top of my head (nice formula, btw, Mark!), but we always make sure we've included the right one with our packages.

The blank takes a 4.0 tip top. For a ceramic set, I'd go with a size 6 ring tip top, 6 - #6 sf guides, 2 - #7 sf's, 1 - #8 sf, 1 - #12 dbl ft taming guide, and 1 - #16 dbl ft stripping guide. In the Recoil's or H&H I'd go with a large loop 4.0 tip top, 6 - #2 sf wire guides, 2 - #3 sf's, 1 - #4 sf, 1 - #12 dbl ft taming guide, and 1 - #16 dbl ft stripping guide. The oversized stripper and the addition of the taming guide will dramatically contributet to getting the most out of this blank, IMHO.

I think my favourite pre-formed grips are the REC FLOR grade reversed half-wells grips. Struble also has a very nice Western (RHW) grip that is less "contoured" (i.e. more subtle in its corves) but is also of excellent quality.

If you're interested, drop me a line and I'd be happy to put together a quote for you including a package discount.

And never worry about asking too many questions around here...we love to talk shop! :)

All the best,

Posted by: Evgeny Alexeyev (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 12:39AM

I had RX8 5wt 9' 3pcs, rod OK but too stiff / fast, perhaps RX8+ is a bit slower, but would try see the blank before actual building ...
I wouldn't use 6 guides #6, - too small, ceramics correspond to wire as follows: 6=1, 7=2, 3=8, 4=10
Maybe first two to three could be #6.... I would start with #7
Also tip top #6 is quite small, I used #8
Rgds, E.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster