I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Giude Foots visable through thread
Posted by: Jamie Knox (---.univde01.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:53PM

I'm using black guide guides on my rod with no cp. I found that the grinded part of the foot (black finish removed) is highly noticeable through the thread. What do you guys do in this situation? I was thinking to just grind the black off the part of the foot that is under the thread.

Thanks - Jamie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Giude Foots visable through thread
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:00PM

Or, color it with a sharpie permanent marker and protect that with a little CP.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.73.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:02PM

i like the raw surface showing myself. gives it that industrial look. no reason to hide your care and workmanship.

but if your workmanship includes wanting to hide that shiny part, i've heard many use black sharpie pens to touch it up or testors paint (correct me if i'm wrong).

eric
fresno, ca.

Re: Guide Foots visible through thread
Posted by: Richard Carlsen (66.211.72.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:31AM

I've tried the Sharpie pens and without some sort of protection over them, it has been my experience that even the permanent ones bleed through the wrappings. Since most of my rods are for myself, brother, grandkids and nephews, the little shinny guide feet don't really bother me that much.

However, next rod, I am going to try a Sharpie, let it dry and then hit it with a little spray polyurethane. That should hold the wrap finish out while the epoxy dries.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:40AM

Iv'e used black fingernail polish on the shiny surface, some brands dry in as little as 60 seconds.
Larry

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:49AM

I use black automotive touch-up paint. It comes in a little applicator bottle, and only costs a few dollars. They last for years if you cap them tightly after each use.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:54PM

There are some more options open for you, none of which you may like, but options nonetheless.
You could go to an NCP thread, but they kinda look like paint on the rod, instead of thread. Some folks are not into that.
You could go to a metallic thread. There's a zillion colours available these days.
You could go to a darker colour, be it green, brown, deep teal blue, claret red, etc...... and use a "darkening agent" first, before you apply your resin finish. However, this process adds 2 more days to your build time, which is another downer for many folks.
Darkening agent: a thin, but flood coat coat of 50-50 thinned Flecto Varethene (sp) over the wraps. This process cinches the threads as dark as your resin would, but masks the guide foot a *lot* ......you can still see it, but **way** less...just barely shining through. It takes two days to dry. you will know it is dry when the varnish odour is gone. if it still smells like varnish, it's still not dry.
Works for me..... your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Jamie Knox (---.univde01.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:19PM

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll let the silver show through on this rod, but next time I'll try the Sharpie.

Jamie

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 08, 2005 04:08PM

Yeah, I just use the sharpie, then some Gudebrod 811 CP over that. It seems to work every time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster