I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Filler Adhesive
Posted by: Rich julian (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:44PM

Just wondering what some folks use as an alternative for mixing with cork dust to patch up your ratty cork drips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Filler Adhesive
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:07PM

Elmer's Wood Filler works really well. Available from Home Depot and elsewhere, in squeeze tubes.The Golden Oak color comes close to most cork. Easy to apply, dries fast, sands well (can sand after an hour), seems to be durable. I doubt if I will bother with cork dust again.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:33AM

Hello Rich
For a very durable and matching cork patch use a paste made with U 40 rod bond mixed with 3 parts of cork dust. Add Titanium Dioxide powder to match cork shade. Unlike elmers and other more rapid patching material this will be a permanet repair. A repair made with Rod Bond will not shrink or loosen up around the edges and chip out as all others that I have seen or tried do.
If a more detailed instructions are desired send me and email.
Regards Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:53AM

Rich, as Tom stated, the Elmer's works great, but I have never used it without applying some sort of finish over the filler. Like Joe stated above, there is a very good chance that left by itself the filler may loosen/shrink and fallout.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Rich Julian (169.152.251.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:00AM

Joe,Sounds good ,where would I find the titanium dioxide for the mix,I would like a more details.e-mail me at shadowcaster908@yahoo.com thanks~Rich

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:50AM

Titanium Dioxide can be found at a paint supply store that tints and mixes paint.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Shai Plummer (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 08:34AM

Testors model glue , the one in the orange tube . I squirt a little in the spot to be filled , wipe it a little with a paper towel and then use 220 or finer grit sandpaper and sand off to the side of the hole and work my way over the top of it , this causes the sanded cork to be pushed into the hole . Testors evaporates very quickly so you gotta work pretty fast . If the pit is really large I push some coarser cork dust into the hole after I apply the adhessive , sand and then repeat the first step . You have to make sure you get all the adhessive off of the surface of the cork or it will be shiny later after the rod has been used for a bit .

shai

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.204.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2005 03:45PM

i just finished a rod which i experimented on in various aspects, basically repairs. i used a crappy cigar cork grip that had some very hard dark brown filler material. with an xacto knife, i carefully cut it out in a square shape and taking some leftover cork trimmings, cut a relacement part. using rod bond, i simply glued the piece in. when it was dry, i sanded it down (having left it a bit larger than the surface of the handle). looks fine to me.

this was a somewhat larger flaw than what i assume most use cork dust for.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster