I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil tip tops - any other options?
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:39AM

I want to use Recoils on a few upcoming light fly rods,including a couple of 8ft 4wts,and cosmetics will be very important to me on these.

I really don't care for the look of the Recoil tip tops at all and I was wondering if others who feel the same way I do about the look of them have any suggestions for a nicer looking wire(not ceramic) replacement that will go well with the finish of these guides,or does everyone just use the Recoil tip tops and accept the odd look?

I have a hard time believing anyone would actually like the look of them,LOL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil tip tops - any other options?
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:56AM

the REC sight has nice snake brand wire tip tops. NO REASON why you can't use them. i don't like the look of the rec tips either although i did use them on a 1wt and on a 2wt. the difference in weight is so small i doubt if it would make any difference relative to the weigth of 20 feet of fly line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:13AM

Pac Bay has a lot of colors on there guides Check them out

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: March 06, 2005 07:41PM

Don't know what all the fuss is about the REC Recoil tip tops. Seems everybody went nuts over all those stupid looking Fugi guides over the years. Seems to me the REC tip tops look more like a fly rod tip should. Just my opinion.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.73.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 08:04PM

i agree with ed. i've been hearing how so many people dislike them, i finally cracked my REC catalog open to the recoil page and saw the tip tops. they look more traditional than ceramic tip tops...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:19PM

Hey Tony,

I was just at my local fly shop yesterday morning checking out the new Winston Boron rods that use the Recoil guides. They use the recoil tips on them, but from the looks of them and a side by side comparison with the other rods on the rack it seems to be a dead match for plain chrome. A few minutes later when chatting with their rod building guy he told me exactly what I wanted to hear. He said that on a few rods he's built using recoils he went with chrome stripping guides and tip tops and it was a perfect match.

By the way, I'm on the same side as you. I've got two rods (a dan craft 3 and 1 weight) that I'm going to use recoils on but I don't care for the tip top either. I will probably end up using the sage round tip top and a pack bay N stripper for these rods.

Take it easy.

Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 04:14AM

Tony--I like the H&H tip tops, though you could get away with a simple hard-chromed wire tip top from Forecast, etc. I do disagree that the chromed tip tops are an exact match to the nickel-titanium wire, though...the Recoil's have a SLIGHTLY "duller" finish/look to them than hard-chromed guides/tip tops do, IMO. I'm not sure you'd really notice thanks to the 4+" of separation between the tip and the first running guide, but... ;)

The best performing wire tip tops I've found are H&H DLC tops, but those are "black" (really a very dark charcoal/ti colour), so you're definitely not colour-coordinated now.

All this having been said, the nickel-ti wire of the Recoils will likely outperform a s/s hard-chromed tip top, so you may be sacrificing some performance for esthetics, which I'm not necessarily suggesting would be a wrong move, just thinking out loud!

Hope this helps...a little at least! :)

Talk at you soon,

Date: March 07, 2005 06:01AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I know there is a slight difference in finish between the Recoils and chrome and I think they are probably closer to the finish on the Fugi titanium framed ceramics than chrome wire,or maybe even somewhere in between.

Like I said,I personally don't like the look of them(I think they look a bit cheap with that hole in the end and the crimping underneath,but that's just my opinion),but obviously they would be the lightest choice for the rod.I just hate making a rod exactly how I want it and then compromising on something(it doesn't matter what it is).

The rod is a 8ft 3/4wt Diamondback Classic Trout(quite possibly the nicest looking graphite blank out there) with a flor grade handle,Venneri Esopus seat,Venneri winding check,Pac Bay N model guide(gold ring/light TiCH frame)and Recoil snakes so it would be nice to have the tip top be what I want as well.Either way it should be an extremely attractive rod.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:34AM

John has it right. The Sage round top (Angler's Workshop?) is a better looking guide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:03PM

Tony,

If you're already using the pack bay light TiCh stripper, why not go with a tip top to match the stripping guide? Is it an OK color match for the recoils?

Mark

Date: March 09, 2005 07:35AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'll just go ahead and order the full set of guides,with the Recoil tip top,and then just pick up an extra chrome H&H or Snake Brand tip top to see what I prefer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster