I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wooden inserts
Posted by: Willy Ricigliano (---.speedy.com.ar)
Date: March 04, 2005 06:40AM

Hi all

Is there any place where I can reed and learn how to impregnate wooden inserts ?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wooden inserts
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:35AM

I would contact Andy Dear at Lamar Manf. and ask him about it. Doing it yourself with any sort of cost effectiveness isn't easy. I know some guys are creating a slurry from acrylic and acetone and getting that into the wood, but I haven't actually seen the end result in person.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:53AM

All of the methods that I've heard/read about are fairly dangerous. That is, they're fairly dangerous, unless you have lots of high-tech (meaning $$$) equipment. Almost all the stuff used to stabilize the wood is at least slightly explosive or flammable. And, the vapors from the chemicals are awfully bad on brain cells.

Who knows--maybe there's another method that isn't terribly risky. Andy Dear would definitely be the one to ask, though. I know stabilized wood is THE thing, as it's completely impervious to water and changes in temperature. But, I don't use it much because of the expense, and because I can get an awfully good finish on inserts/grips with multiple coats of Tru-Oil. I know it takes longer than using stabilized wood, but a number of coats of Tru-Oil is also extremely water resistant too.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:22AM

Here is the only "home" method I know if that is relatively safe and effective.

[www.northcoastknives.com]

Andy Dear

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 11:17AM

Sending out an insert to be stabilized has a ninimum charge of $36, +postage. The above wood hardener cost me ~$8. I put a valve on a jar lid, used a venturi (soaping atachment) on a friends air compressor to create my vacuum. Looks good to me. The Ketones/solvent did eat my seal on the jar. IMHO, it's still better than a non-stabilized insert., only time will tell.

The thrill is not in the kill

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 06:43PM

Has any one used the pentacryl products for the stabilization?

Posted by: Willy Ricigliano (---.speedy.com.ar)
Date: March 05, 2005 05:13AM

Thank you all for the advises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster