I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Won't get stung the third time
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.202.127.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:42PM

Hi all,I'm new at rod building,and just enjoy it for a hobby. Came aboard to the fourm last year at the making of the rod show.Did not make it then sting #1.Had to hear all about it here on the board, what I missed and such a good time everybody had, talking to all the pro,s an venders and sponsors. What a beating.Then came along this years show.Again was unable to attend.Sting #2.Have been avoiding coming to the board didn't want to take another beating,but just could'nt hold off any longer.
I'm so glad that everything came off without a hitch, and that everyone had such a great time.Enjoying hearing the post about the show and enjoyed seeing the few pictures.
Tom K. do you think that maybe you could take a few pages and put some of the pictures in a future issue of Rod Maker mag ?
Now as not to get stung the third time here are a few questions.
1) when will the month and date be posted for 2006 show ?
2) do they have atm machines on the floor and are kept full at all times ?
3} is fedex or ups available at the show for shipping idems bought ?

By knowing the next show date as soon as possible,that will give me time to put on my vacation time sheet to put on my boss's deck still time for approval .I'm not going to get stung the third time.
Come he-- or high water Im coming to the next show to meet all the people i"m hearing about and it sure sounds like a fun clean party to attend.
Have already warned my wife that I might just have to sell my boat to get there but so be it.Thanks folks and have a Good Evening. <<<< DON>>>>> AT HOBBY RODS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Won't get stung the third time
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:58PM

Don,
PLEASE don't let yourself get stung a third time! It was fantastic...second to none!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:19PM

I'll have a bunch of photos in the next magazine and a bunch up on the photo page as soon as we get some things straightened out.

Next year's event will likely be in February again but I can't give you a firm date until the first of April. There will be an increase in promotional efforts above and beyond what we did this year. One difference will be a stand-alone website for the National Rod Builders Show which will better represent it and make it easier for prospective attendees to stay abreast of the show's progress.

I'm sorry you missed it. By all reasonable accounts it was the best thing every done for the industry and the craft. But no one is resting on their laurels - we'll work even harder to make next year's show even better. I'm betting that once you get there next year you'll forget all about the two you missed. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:35PM

Thanks Tom & Andy, this has become a set goal for next year,I have made up my mind to incorperate it into 2005 budget.However my ony fear is I,m going to be like a kid turned loose in a toy store.
Just another question to put out there ------ By just being a hobby Rod Builder what would be a fair $$$$$ amount to bring along for spending monyies????
Had gone up to the photo page and boy was I ever way off on putting names to faces,before dropping down to see who was who. Sorry guys.Good thing I didn't have to do that in person or I would have gotten kicked to the moon.
Andy---- still saving to get thoes mandrels I emailed you about I,m close.

<<<DON>>>
HOBBYRODS

Any possibility for a Northeast rod building show?
Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (69.37.26.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:51PM

Tom, hopefully the rod building show was such a success that you are considering having more around the country. How about somewhere in the Northeast?

Date: March 03, 2005 10:16PM

Donald,
That's sort of a loaded question, but I think you could show up with $500.00-$1000.00 and walk away with more stuff than you could shake a stick at. I think that I can speak for the other vendors when I say this was a VERY profitable show for everyone that had a booth. I know I paid for my trip several times over. But it was also profitable for the buyer as well. As Tom kirkman likes to say, there is so much quality stuff at such great savings/discounts, that if you buy enough eventually you'll save enough that it'll be free! I know Bob McCamey had some awesome deals, as did the Mud Hole boys. The folks at Fish Stix-U had more blanks than you could shake a stick at...it was really simply sensory overload. I have been to several Rod Building Shows/Conclaves, but there has NEVER been anything on this level. Huge quantities of gear at awesome savings AND more top quality talent and instruction than should be allowed under one roof. Think about it, 25 seminars on Rod Building in less than 48 hours...nobody has ever had that level and quantity of instruction under one roof coupled with as many vendors and manf.

It was an amazing show...we are already prepping for next year.

GET READY FOR SOME MORE GARBAGE CAN SPECIALS!!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:19PM

No, it's not really possible. The amount of work that is required to do what we did in Charlotte only tells us that the custom rod building world isn't large enough to pull off something like in more than one or two places per year. It's a lot less expensive for you to travel to Charlotte than for the entire Charlotte show to travel to you. Sorry. I do understand how you feel.

You've got a rod building show put on by Barry's people in Ft. Washington, PA in a couple weeks. To my knowledge, not a single rod building vendor has signed on. You might want to check the list at www.flyfishingshow.com just in case, however.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:26PM

Tom / Barry -
Nope, not a one that I recognize (and I think I'd recognize them by name). Maybe next year I'll get in on that one -- but just too closely spaced to Charlotte and I'm prepping for a different (local) show.

Well said Mr. Dear!!!
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:31PM

Who said you can't find good stuff in somebody's trash?! I sure did. Thanks for the popping blanks.

Seriously, your summation of the show really puts it in a nutshell. It perfectly covers the way I felt about everything there.

Donald I know you hear us guys talking about it and wish we would shut up, but so many of us are just in the process of coming down from what amounted to sensory rod building overload this past weekend. You'll find out for yourself next year.

Only good thing about getting older is that a year comes around a lot sooner than it used to. The BIG show will be around again before you know it!

Posted by: Owen McLean (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:08AM

Donald, Decide how much you want to spend and then double it. That's what I did and I was broke by 10am Sat morning. I hit the floor shortly after 9am intent on heading directly to Fishsticks to see what blanks they had. Unfortunately I had to pass through flytying where some guy was practically giving away great hackles and then when I got to the far end where the rodbuilders were, I had to pass Donart and their deep discount reel seats. Next was Andy's trash can and cork "giveaway". By now I had saved enough money to retire on and by the time I got to Fishsticks I was completely broke and could only negotiate with Robert for mail order sales at show prices. So I HAD to spent the remainder of the day attending seminars which were absolutely great. I did revisit Andy's booth at lunch and spend the few pennies I had saved for lunch on more cork. Just moved back to the Charlotte area so it was my first show and it was absolutely fantastic. Sensory overload on everything. It will not be my last and next time I will double the doubled amount that I think I will spend.

Date: March 04, 2005 09:24AM

Double the doubled amount.....make my birth your first stop next year ok?

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster