I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More shipping charges
Posted by: Terry L branch (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:39PM

Placed a 200 dollar order last week with one of the sponsors listed. They had all I ordered except one roll of thread. I asked them not to ship it to me as I did not want to pay shipping charges for one roll of thread. Was notified today that it is on its way with a two dollar shipping charge. Looks like this is getting to be routine with some sponsors. Will remember this when I place my next order.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More shipping charges
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:42PM

If you don't like it, don't go there!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:46PM

I have spoken before about the problems nearly all dealers have with back ordered items. Most just try to carry too wide a selection of product and thus cannot stock very deep in any of them.

It also seems unfair to charge shipping on any back ordered item if that item was listed in the vendor's catalog or website and not specified as a special order item. It is never the customer's fault when a dealer is out of an item.

However, about all you can do is contact the vendor and make your displeasure known. If enough people did this we might see a change.

Posted by: Terry L branch (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 10:14PM

Tom , I did notify them about this issue. Two dollars for shipping one roll of back ordered thread seems a little high. There is a lot of good sponsors on this site and I will spend my money with them. Idid not list any names as I was just letting of a little steam.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:17PM

Not a problem. I can sympathize with your position - it has happened to me many times over the years.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:19PM

Understandable. Been doing that myself

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:59AM

I got a single 900(+) yds spool of size A thread in the mail a few days ago. Shipping...$0.62

Jay

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.152.219.234.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:34AM

I got a back order of one spool of "A" nylon shipped via UPS - $8.62 for shipping. When u have to have it you just bite your tongue and pay.

Lou

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:13AM

Unless it was or is a necessity and you have to have it right now. I would not accept that order and have the postman send it back. I am sure if enough builders eould do this , It shure as heck would get someones attention
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:45AM

Actually naming the vendor would probably help this issue. At least then it is out in the open and everyone will know the situation prior to making an order that they may have to pay some outrageous shipping charges for anything backordered.

The last thing a vendor who has a policy such as that wants is for it to be public knowledge especially if there are others out there who are shipping back orders without these high priced extra charges.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:43AM

I think the most important element of Terry's note is that he notified the vendor to not ship the item and the vendor shipped it anyway. I've had this happen to me twice, once by a sponsor and once by a non-sponsor. This problem is a separate issue from the amount of postage charged. In my cases I notified the vendors not to ship and then purchased the item locally because I had an immediate need, then ended up with items I didn't need. Their inability to follow simple requests upset me more than the shipping, and gave me little reason to trust the vendors.

Jeff Shafer

Date: March 03, 2005 08:37AM

Exactly. It's not a matter of how much, it's a matter of procedure. I've long held that companies should not list items in their catalogs or on their websites that they cannot keep in stock. I know everyone runs out of things from time to time, but so many companies these days in their attempt to offer every product under the sun are just not able to stock very deep in any of them. So, back orders are the norm, not the exception. If a company offers it, they should stock it. And if they run out and can't ship it with your regular order, they should eat the shipping charges.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:57AM

Hi, I have been fallowing a few forum threads on shipping charges. At first I thought that it would be bad to say who the shipping gougers are (maybe they just messed up). I know of sponsors in the list that are great about shipping, if they say they have something and do not, they ship it free, when they get it. Another, one on the list that I called about shipping orders in three and four small shipments four about ten bucks a piece, has been mentioned many times, by others now, they did not mess up.. I now think it should be perfectly fine to tell about who has great shipping policies and who should not be used period, what do you think ? I agree 100 percent with Mr. Kirkman,s last statement. If they show something they are suppose to have and do not have it, they should cover the shipping charges, or email you back and tell you to reorder at a more convenient time when they have what you want, Rich.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:40AM

This is just part of the business world. I do know that some vendors will over charge on shipping and handling since I, myself, ship items on a frequent basis (rods and components).

I charge what the carrier charges in addition to breaking down what I pay for shipping material. Some larger businesses charge more because they have more overhead and more orders to fill.

I am not saying this in a negative tone towards you, however if you are unhappy with shipping and handling try another vendor. Each one varies.

David Banaka

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:52AM

I really appreciate the main suppliers for my biz, all from the list on the left screen. I bought about 8 grand worth of stuff last year and had to wait for about 3 or 4 items on BO all year !
Nonetheless, until my business is stocking and shipping about a million dollars each year, I'm not gonna pass judgement on their business practices. What I WILL DO is focus on those business practices I have within my control. If it means the frustration level is such that I would have to find a new supplier also from the listed sponsors, then I simply do so.
The second thing, I make sure that MY customers don't feel the same pain from ME.

good wrappin,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:16AM

Perhaps this back order problem could be solved by the dealer giving the customer the option of accepting the back order, one spool of thread with the $2 shipping charge. Don't most companies ask if you wish to place items on back order status? Most places I deal with will send the merchandise free of charge is they don't have it in stock.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:46PM

Everyone probably knows this, but, I'm going to say it anyway. With regards to receiving merchandise that the distributor sent and was tol not to. It's federal law that anything received in the mail that was not authorised or ordered by an indidvidual, can be considered a gift. I had this problem once with the North American Fishing Club, they sent me a book that I didn't order and expected me to pay for it. No Way!!!!! You sent it unsolicited, it's mine now!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.111.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:06PM

If the sponcers read that, it should keep them on there toes?? LOL

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:29PM

I've had my own shipping nightmares like the rest of you. The thing to remember is your money is your power, if you don't like the way your treated fire them I use this all the time with credit card co. cell phone co. INTERNET service co. auto repair co. it covers all ,let them know why you are not going to do business with them any longer. If your tired of a credit card co. make sure you pay them off first before you tell them where they can put there high interest rates. LOL. NO ONE! Can make you spend your money where you don't want to. Fire them.... ED... P.S. I'm still getting hit by high shipping costs. I haven't fired them yet. But they are on thin ice.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:38PM

Somebody has been watching too much Donald Trump.

lol just kidding around.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster