I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

making wood reel seats
Posted by: Daniel W. Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 07:57PM

Hey guys. I have a delta midi lathe and just got some tools in the mail today. What tools do i need to make my own seats? I am looking to make inserts like forecast sells. What parts do i need for the actual lathe. Finally what kind of finish do you prefer and how do you finish it?
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: making wood reel seats
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:28PM

You could do no better than to get yourself a copy of Andy Dear's "WoodTurning for the Rod Builder." Use the link for Lamar Manufacturing to the left to order. This DVD has has exactly what you ask about. It's taylor made for exactly what you want to do. Visit Andy's site and also Classic Custom Wood (that link is also to the left) for some great ideas on what to do with your new "toys."

Tru-oil is a great all-around finish for wood fishing rod handles and seats.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:31PM

I turn the whole handle out of wood. I have a drill chuck that fits the tail stock and a 4 jaw chuck along with the real basic wood lathe tool set. You will probably want some kind of mandrel too helps to keep everything concetric.

I usually use an outdoor spray urathane in either semi gloss or gloss to finish them and put on about 4 or 5 coats. I am sure that would work out for what you are doing too.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:35PM

Hi Dan! Ditto on Andy's DVD...if you don't pick up a copy now, you'll probably wish you had down the road when you finally do and see all the tips he's passed on therein! I buy ALL my wood from Andy as well. His stabilized burls are SECOND TO NONE and turn into spectacular seats. I usually turn my inserts to within 25/1000 of the final necessary OD, then sand them down with the following grades of quality sandpaper: 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 (wet), 1500 (wet), and 2000 (wet). Then, I polish them on a three-wheel buffing system with the polishing compounds Andy recommends (sells?). I've also used multiple coats of spar varnish (aerosol) on non-stabilized blanks, sanded lightly every couple coats, and that turns out very beautifully as well.

You should be able to get by with just the 4-jaw if you chuck the wood blank directly into it and turn the seat with a live center on the tailstock. There's two schools of thought as to whether or not you should bore the wood first or after turning...I've done both successfully. OR you can bore the blank on your drill press first and get one of Andy's mandrels to turn the blank on...this would require a 3-jaw instead, which I think you might need for his polishing system as well.

Obviously, Andy's your man when it comes to wood and hand-turning reel seats, etc. I'm quite sure he'll notice this thread as soon as he's back in the office and jump in with his suggestions, otherwise drop him a quick line (Lamar Reel Seats).

Enjoy!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 10:46PM

Get hold of Andy and you'll be glad you did! He's always willing to help out a builder.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster