I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic thread: too much spots
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 02:51PM

I've already done my first double wrap. Underwrap gave no problems (thank for your support), but I'm having lots of problems with overwrap. It's made with Gudebrod size A metallic thread and it produces lots of "spots" once the finish is applied. These spots are like the ones produced when trimming the thread the tagg end remains in the surface but they are all over the wrap (1 or two on each one), not in the edges or produced when cutting the tread. I must be doing something wrong.

I have to "cut them" with the razor once the finish is cured and I hace to apply more coats than I think it would be necessary. It's a pitty because I like final result.

What's wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 03:13PM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic thread: too much spots
Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:26PM

Did you try sanding the finish after it was good and hard?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:29PM

Daniel,
The little bumps that you are getting using metallic thread might be pieces of mylar that have separated from the thread and are sticking up.
That happens sometimes when you run the thread through a tight thread tension device. I don't like to use metallic thread as an overwrap for that reason. I use it only for trim bands. Let's see what others may think about that problem.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:43PM

Coating the underwrap first, then overwraping might have held this down

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:27PM

Daniel,
I agree with Ellis, I use to get this problem, stopped running through the tensioner and use a large fly tying bobbin holder, so far no problems.

Date: March 02, 2005 04:29PM

I think Ellis is right and these bumps are from pieces of mylar that have separated from the thread.

I pass the thread through a "table clamp rod wrapper" I bought in Mudhole. Mayve I use to much tension and mylar separates when it pass through the screweye. I also pass the thread between my fingers to position it into the blank. I sometimes feel like a "knot", but I don't know the reason.

As Bill suggest, I already coated the underwrap, but the problem is still there.

Myles: is that "fly tying bobbin holder" what is called "rod winding bobbin" too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 04:37PM by Daniel Rotea.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:39PM

Daniel
Go to any fly shop and simply ask for a "bobbin". It's a 'wishbone' looking thing with a tube and two steel arms that end in metal balls where the thread spool rests. They come in a couple/three different sizes so bring a spool of thread with you that you normally use. Likely you will find the larger one more useful. Oh, and get the bobbin "threader" too as it will save you a bit of time and frustration getting the thread through the tube.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 06:39PM

I have several bobbins that I use for fly tying. My preference are the models that have a ceramic insert in the tip of the tube section. The ceramic insert is somewhat rounded inside and creates less friction.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:21PM

Excuse me while I try to explain to Daniel what a bobbin is in Castellano.
Un bobbin es lo que detiene el carrete de hilo quando uno ata plumas de pesca. Como dice Jeff, los mejores son los que tienen la punta hecha de ceramica.
I agree with Jeff, the best ones have the thread tube made of ceramic material, very smooth. By the way, Mudhole will soon have the Doc Ski Weaving DVD in stock. You can get it cheaper there than if I have one made from a VHS tape.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:36PM

Its a common characteristic of metallic thread, you get all these little fuzzies sticking up. I usually trim them off with a razor after the 1st coat, about 24 hours later. I don't use metallic thread as an overwrap for this very reason.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:50PM

I've used the metallic threads for well over 10 years. I've never had this problem. I switched to a thread tensioning device last summer/fall. I still have zero problems-???? One coat of finish and I'm done.

Putter

Posted by: Joe Boomgaard (---.203.triton.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:37AM

I've built several rods with metallic threads and all have the same problem described above. I've just lived with it or have cut the bumps down with a razor and refinished.

Maybe I've been using too much tension all along, but here's maybe a dumb question for the bobbin guys -- how do you keep the wraps tight enough with just a bobbin?

Another thing with the Gudebrod metallic that I've noticed is that some times the shiny metallic color separates and the core comes through. Then, of course, I either have to back up and tie off or start all over again.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:48PM

I don't actually use a bobbin, just commented on types I prefer for fly tying.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:59PM

Using your fingers to let metallic thread slide through is a good way to seperate the core from the mylar. Hold it as loose as possible, and some of your problem will be solved.
Sanford

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:58PM

I have been using metallics about 98% of the time for years and run the thread through a tensioner and have never seen what is being described. Must be lucky!!!

Mike

Date: March 04, 2005 04:03AM

To those that never experienced these problems: which brand of metallic thread are you using?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster