I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

twine under reel seat
Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 02, 2005 12:02PM

I was bored last night and tore the foregrip off of a manufactured rod and also cut off the extra threads on the reel seat. I was greatly shocked to see that there was white twine, the kind that you wrap up packages with under the reel seat. My question is, should I tear the whole thing off and redo the entire handle or just fill in the front with some tinted epoxy to cover it up? This was a 200 dollar rod and I was very shocked to see this. Guess it is just another reason to go custom or build them yourself!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: twine under reel seat
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:05PM

I've seen masking tape bushings on factory rods costing three times as much. Actually your twine bushing if applied correctly is an improvement over the tape type as it allows the adhesive to contact the blank as well as the seat to make a better bond.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.213.31.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:18PM

yeah, i don't see a real problem here, but then i'm new and still learning. seems to be a step up from long-used masking tape and somewhat creative in a good way. if epoxy or something like rod bond was used, THAT is what really adheres the seat to the blank. with any bushing, whether tape, mesh tape, solid/lightweight arbor, the main idea is to hold the seat centered until the adhesive is set, isn't? once again, just wondering.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 07:32PM

As Stan said, the twine / line / cord is usually a superior bushing than masking tape. Masking tape adhesive deteriorates with time & heat, and can turn to mush from water infiltration if the gap is not well-filled with epoxy adhesive. A nylon line by itself will tolerate some wetness. When saturated with the epoxy adhesive, nylon line and even the traditional baker's cotton twine become resistant to wet-rot. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:44PM

tom, you're email address is hidden through rodbuilding.org, and something i sent to you privately in reply to your own email was bounced back as undeliverable for some reason. fatal flaws...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:43PM

Eric,

You should have the address in your in box.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:31PM

Surprise surprise! Some rod kits sold in the early 80s had enclosed instructions to use twine to build up the blank for the reel seat to fit (ie. build an arbor). You don't see much reference to this type of arbor anymore, but it was (is) an effective way to build one.

Another type of commercial rod arbor you''ll see used from time to time is the cardboard tube type.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster