I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spiral Guides
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:35PM

For casting rods I will do the O'Quinn method and at least try to get the straightest path I can. For trolling rods I will do a simple revolver method and spiral around in two guides...fast & easy. Do a deflection test for the remaining 180 guides.

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:42PM

Unless you are going to cast the rod all day like maybe a bass fisherman, that works.
They are easy to set up with that expensive tool " fly tip section " LOL

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:25PM

Paul, I didn't mean to jump in your post and ask my own questions, but hopefully you will gain from it. I understand the basic concepts and methods created. My question is specifically, do you find that your guide spacing is progressive to the tip? Do your transition guides get spaced as if it were conventionally built, or can they be closer then normal spacing. I am looking for a starting point. I am sure I will know right from wrong once I get the guides on and load the rod. I just need a general starting point at which to put the guides. Thus my question if I can set up the rod conventionally, and move the running guides to 180* and manipulate the last 3 (+/-) guides inclduing the stripper guide to become my transition guides?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:35PM

Go to st croix's site and use one of there charts, just to start with

Date: March 03, 2005 03:27PM

Bill, I am not a newby and can layout a conventional rod without issue or question. For spiral wrapping, I am a newbie! My question is on laying out the guide spacing for a spiral wrap, which I can't imagine can be found on St. Croixs site?! I just want to know if the guide spacing on a spiral wrapped rod is similar to a spiral, with the obvious exceptions? I am meerly looking for a starting point or general observation of the guide spacing compared to that of a conventionally built rod. Thanks!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:50PM

I did not mean to say you were a newbee. But for a starting place. The blank and line will tell you after that where the guides go Got to start some place Use a casting rod maybe plus one more guide
Do you have the artical from Rodmaker. It's a good one. Think there are two of them

Date: March 03, 2005 04:20PM

No Bill, I don't have that article. I am waiting on the next issue that is supposed to have another spiral article in it. In the mean time, I have 3 blanks coming next week that I intend on building spiral. I have read countless posts and done several searches. I even have a good idea of the different methods and ideas behind each. The question I am still trying to answer is whether or not the guide spacing is similar to a conventionally built rod? I understand that a deflection test will dictate exact location as it does for conventional methods. Having not held, fished, or even seen one in person, I am simply trying to get a better idea of what a typical rod looks like. In particular the guide spacing!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:24PM

If you can get the back issue and the artical by Ralph O'Quinn.Very good

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:35PM

Shawn

I put my butt guide in the normal position and make the transition to the underside in 8.5 inches using 1 transition guide set at 90 degrees. I started with the tip top and worked my way back until I was in range of a transition zone. I tried several setups and this seemed to work best.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 07:10AM

Bill, thanks anyway! Rich, I appreciate the heads up. From what I understand, putting the guides at 90* can be an issue in certain applications. Regardless, I follow you on your methods. That said, it would sound like your set up does not follow similar progressive spacing one would use in buiding a conventional rod. Thanks.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster