I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A simple idea for Charlotte, 2006
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:53PM

Tom,
First any help you need in getting ready for 2006 please don't hesitate to ask. I've been thinking about the "rod builder's theater in the round" and integrating the fly fishing / rod building portion halves of the show. While it was certainly nice to have the rod builders area "set aside" it seems to me that one way to grow the building community might be to try to set apart a "middle ground" for a "how to" interest section that might siphon off some of the 'off the shelf buyers' and get them interested in building their own rods - or at least an area where they could be more knowledgeable when they look at off-the-shelf rods. The area where the (absolutely stunning hand laid wood ) canoe has been for at least the last two years seems like an ideal "neutral " area between suppliers, builders and purveyors of clothing, fishing accoutrements (lures, flies) and guide services. Personally I think it would be outstanding to have people demonstrate "how a fishing rod is made" with people on hand to field questions on all types of rods - not just fly rods. I didn't have ONE person drop by to take one of the three fly rods I had on hand over to the casting pool. They just sat in the corner whimpering like small children begging to go out and play. It seemed to me that the fly fishermen sort of "cruised through the rod building area" without stopping (at least on Sunday when I had time to notice). The possibilities are seemingly endless to make this an educational experience for more builders - and an interest generator not only for potential customers but also to draw new builders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A simple idea for Charlotte, 2006
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:54PM

I agree and we tried to do something along those lines the first year. We wanted to have an ongoing series of rod builders demonstrating each step in the process of building a rod, all day long. No one took us up on it. Even this year, only two custom rod builders bothered to display (Sammy Mickel did well - sold 13 custom rods and took orders for a handful more).

It would be nice to have more rod builders actively participating in round the clock rod building demos. It's still something I'll revisit as I plan for next year.

Date: March 01, 2005 09:55PM

Thanks Tom - I know organizing all this has to be a huge pain. Now that more rodbuilders showed up maybe more will be willing to help put on the on-going demos, donate the time and kick in a share of the costs for the space and so forth. Dividing the cost among several of us (No, you can't contribute as you already put in enough) might work out well for everyone. I'm glad Sammy did ok . He's a nice fellow but I didn't have much time to spend chatting with him.

Date: March 01, 2005 10:50PM

Sharing booth spaces isn't allowed, and for good reasons. So this puts the idea of several builders buying a single booth and all working (or selling) out of one isn't likely to fly. But there are some alternatives that I'll cover once we get the 2006 dates set and a few other things nailed down. We'll begin in earnest on this in about 30 days.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:58AM

Tom,

Unfortunately I didn't get to make it to the show. However, how about a 'tackleworks' booth. It would be bought by tackleworks and could showcase guys doing repairs and full rods. That could eliminate the idea of a couple guys trying to buy booth space and sharing. It would also get tackleworks out there and guys in the fishing community could see just what you can and can't fix.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: March 02, 2005 09:06AM

That's a good idea. Thanks. Count on it for next year. We'll do it for sure. TackleWorks will have a booth there. Frankly, we should have done it this year, but I just didn't think of it.

And, that won't limit other demos. We'll do as many as we can and in as many ways as we can.

Date: March 02, 2005 05:02PM

Fantastic idea Rick!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster