I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4, 5, or 7 piece pack rod
Posted by: Nathan Harper (129.44.168.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:01PM

I'm interested in building a 4 wt travel rod for backpacking.
I'm looking for any information from others who pack + fish, of advice for a blank.

Ideally, i would like to find a balance between portability and feel. A 4 piece would most likely have to be strapped to the outside of the pack, while a 5 or even a 7, could potentially fit in the pack.

I will probably go with a 7'6" to 8' length. I'm aiming for trout, but there's a good chance i will come across some pond fishing as well (pan fish - small bass etc...) But I’m trying to avoid anything over 8 due to small stream conditions.

It needs to be cheap. I understand that H+H used to carry an IM6 7-piece. This would be ideal. I've built other rods from these charcoal gray blanks, and been very pleased with the action. They are getting ready to carry a Forecast 7-piece (i called H+H today and they said that they expect the shipment to arrive within the next few weeks). You will see on the website that they already have a listing for it. They currently carry a 5 piece 7'6" 4 wt. in the Forecast. It’s dirt cheap (>20$)

Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4, 5, or 7 piece pack rod
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:14PM

Dan Craft...'nuff said

Tim

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:55PM

If you can afford the blank, a Dan Craft is best. One of the guys recently described dropping the butt on a Cabela's 3 weight stowaway and casts a 5 weight line on it. If you go with the less expensive blanks get the lightest one they make as they usually cast better overlined by one or two line weights. In other words, buy their 2 weight if you really want a 4.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:58PM

Nathan--drop us a line at info@rockymountainrodbuilding.com or drop by our site...we've got a few great options for you, including and especially the Dan Craft blanks. I actually have a couple of the coveted multi-piece Sig IV blanks in stock as well! You can click "Compare our Blanks" on our site and then click the "pieces" heading to see which models from our standard (stocking) lineup fit the bill, but I do have at least one 6pc 4wt in the Sig IV in stock that won't be listed here.

Dan's blanks are ridiculously under-priced IMHO, but we just don't tell him that too often in case he takes us up on our word! ;) If you are looking for something extremely inexpensive, there are options like Forecast and one of Dan's import 7pc-ers as well.

Anyway, hope to hear from you!

Warmly,

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:58PM

I've built the forecast 7'6" 4wt in 4 pc. and have the blank for a 5 pc. Both are mod-fast in my opinion. Very fishable and worth the$. The 5 pc is less than 20". Hook and hackle has the blank and a cardura covered case with 5 dividers that is 23" long for about $25. It should fit in a frame pack but probably not a small daypack unless you leave the zipper open to let it stick out.

I have a 7 pc 9' 5wt Elkhorn that I picked up 1/2 price at the Someset show that I love. It's 19" in the case and fits in my daypack. I wish I could drop a section for small streams. Cabela's sells a 7 pc 8' 4wt rod that I've heard good things about, but I don't see the blank listed on their website.

The Dan Craft 7' imports are only 9' I think, but contact him he may be able to hook you up with one of his sig rods.

Hope this helps

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster