I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dimples on the second coat of Flexcoat lite
Posted by: Michael Gebauer (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:57PM

New Guy....

I just finished two Crankbait rods.
I did some research on this site, and came up with two methods to try. Spatula, and 2" section pull towards the tip 180 and wait. The guides came out perfect with the "pull" method (painted on the Flexcoat with the rotation of the rod on the first one, turned out lumpy). Anyway both of the rods dimpled on the long straight sections with the second coat of lite. They looked good when I left the room and shut off the lights. Came back the next morning and both had random dimples in them, "pull" and "spatula" (no anomolies underneath from the first coat). Temperature was 71 -72 degrees. And I think I followed everyones instructions. That's why it's aggravating. Anybody have a solution? Or reason?
I did use Walleye decals on both that were raised after the first coat, or I would have probably quit after the first coat. These decals raised off the rod at the fine points of the fins and were sticking out of the first coat, that along with the dimples were upsetting. Did fix that with an X-acto knife, it just looks like the Pectoral and Anal fins have a white spot on them too. That might be another thread, or I'll just go and look right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dimples on the second coat of Flexcoat lite
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 02:53PM

Isolated dimples are usually a sign of bubbles that popped late in the finish setting process.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:26PM

Yep....what Tom said.
Be sure to gently flame your wraps after you've got the finish on in the shape you want.
helps level the epoxy and get all those nasty bubbles out from wherever they are hiding....

you can sand down the finish and try another coat of FC Lite.
RB

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:04PM

Sand lightly with 600 wet paper - dry, no need for water Clean well, then recoat should cover nicely

Date: March 01, 2005 06:34PM

Thankyou for the input!

That was killing me...I used a denatured alcohol flame with a small bit of tubing to blow through, ala Doc Ski,
but I guess I just don't have the experience to stay at it long enough to get the deep ones. I'll make sure I'm more careful about it after the sanding this time.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:24PM

My expeience with the dimples was either the bubbles , or not scuffing the surface and the preveous coat repeled the finish in some spot , thus creating little pot holes . Happened to me a couple of times . Just another thing to worrie about . If the first finish was less than 72 hrs old you can rule it out.
Just thought I would throw that out . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.7.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 10:25AM

I guess your not using CP? Some thin out the first coat of finish in order to get penitration of the threads. When thin it also lets the bubbles release easyer.
And some times you cause bubbles when finish is heated, some thing to watch out for

Date: March 02, 2005 12:57PM

Yep,
Used 3 coats of Flexcoat CP. Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to realize the small things make a big difference.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.160.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:05PM

i just finished a rod which had some anomolies too while using flex coat lite. they look like very shallow craters, kind of wide and somewhat irregularly shaped. weird, first time i've had this happen in 5 or 6 rods.

some variables that changed:

1) i have always put on two coats. this was the first time i put on THREE and after the second coat dried, it looked fine so this anomoly happened on just the last, third coat (???)

2) i usually have a small metal quiche-like or possibly tart pan tin which i cover with foil and mix the epoxy, this time i used only flat foil.

3) this "cratering" only happened on two wraps, both were the first i applied thread epoxy to (near the cork grip) and unlike all other rods, i came back at the end and perhaps 10 minutes after i thought i had finished, i went ahead and applied another coat, trying to "touch up" the first application thinking it was still wet enough.

4) i always use either 2.5 or 3 cc of finish in each flex coat syringe. this very last coat of flex cloat lite, i used only 2 cc of each.

i'm thinking rating in probability of problem: 3, 4, and coming in far behind, tied for last place, 1 and 2.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 07, 2005 09:15AM

Just to finalize,

I sanded down the four problem areas, started with 180 to sand the dimples smooth, then polished with 400.
I went through all my videos and books again, what I was doing wrong was working too long with the same batch of finish. The late bubbles coming through the thickening finish really left a nasty crater. I observed this happening.
Just like Tom said.
So the trick to this not happening (and I finished two sanded down sections perfect yesterday) is to apply a section of finish and go immediately to the alcohol burner and begin to work the bubbles out before it begins to thicken at all. Put that section in the rack until it dries enough to safely work on another area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster