I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank choices - sturgeon, and rock fishing
Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 12:01PM

HI all

I'm looking into building a Sturgeon rod and replacing my deep sea rod, I dont have a boat (yet) so I'm limited to shoreline fishing for now. What rod blank would you recommend??
My current deep sea rod has the following specs: Master Custom Striker Comp Graphite, model- Master PST 70C, 7ft, 15-30lb line, 1/2 to 3oz lure. I've used it for rock fishing to Salmon.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 10:32AM by Rich Pedro.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank choices - sturgeon, and rock fishing
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.184.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 02:06PM

Rich,
I'm away from my catalogues right now, but off the top of my head, I can recommend the St. Croix SCII 8 foot 17-36 lb blank, the GUSA of similar stature, and the Calstar graphiter of again similar stature. The 8 foot because you're from shore and could probably use the extra castign distance. However, if the shoreline is really high up from the waterline (not ideal for landing said sturgeon) a shorter rod would be better for handling as the longer rod length causes more pressure on the angler. If the shoreline is closer to the waterline, the 8 foot would be just fine. I hope this helps at least a little bit! Good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:29PM

Are you building a sturgeon shore or boat rod? White or green sturgeon? How far do you have to cast to get to the hole the sturgeon is setting in?

Spencer

Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:33PM

Spencer....

I'm planning on building both
The sturgeon rod for the California delta, not sure what you mean by white or green.... I'm going to assume white, because the pics of the ones I see are white/grey. In regards to a hole where they are at, further I can cast the better.

The boat rod, I'm looking for something that can be used for all sorts of fishing there. During the summer they have lt. tackle fishing which will be next on my list :)

Rich

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.176.93.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:12AM

As an avid sturgeon fisherman myself, and shorebound as well, I personally regularly use 12' rods for my dino hunting exploits from both pier and shore. It is really up to you as to what you want to carry around and can handle casting with. At 6'4" such long rods are really not a problem with me. We are talking about soaking bait and not tossing lures in the surf and for many of my spots require some serious casting distance.

As for a boat rod for rockfish...can't really help you there....There are so many viable options it can make your head spin.....All my personal boat rods right now are (wince) factory made.......I am working on a few though.

Derek

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:05AM

Probably the rod I had the most fun with fishing for sturgeon is the Lamiglas GSB 132 1L with the GRAPHX extension on it to extend it to 15 ft long.
I fish it with a Abu 7000 or Shimano 700 size reel and 20 to 25 lb line. It's been '91 since Ive been in your area, but I don't remember having to throw that much lead to get when I needed to get fishing there. 3 ft handles are to norm here in the Pacific Northwest for leverage reasons I'm told. I suspect the it has also something to do with rod balance as the GRAPHX extension is one heavy piece of graphite. The reason I asked about the species targeted is that I caught far more greens (smaller species, 7 ft max) sturgeon in your waters than just about any other place I've ever fished. They are usually olive green with a greenish white tinted belly, while the whites can be the same color, or browns to greys on their backs ,but are white bellied and get much larger in size.
Shipping on one of these blanks is a tremendous expense so I'd get it as close to you as possible.
For your salmon /rockfish blank a backbouncing blank would give a rod that would have a heavy enough tip to jig some lead in deep water. The Lamiglas GLB902M is used as a backbouncing blank if you want a 2 piece rod.
All the best to you and yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster