I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clemens Method
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:04AM

My professional rod builder mentor uses the Clemens method of tying off a guide wrap. I agree with my mentor and like the method. Just for the sake of discussion, I have had some people tell me that the tie-off is too loose using that method.

P.S. Don't tell Big Ed I asked this questions because he's a mean guy. HA! HA! LOL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clemens Method
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:10AM

Many of us probably don't know what method you're referring to. Could you elaborate?

Date: March 01, 2005 11:16AM

You put your tie-off loop in earlier instead of the last 5 or 6 wraps. When you cut the thread off and insert it in the loop, it's cut short so that the tag end stays underneath the wraps. I hope that's better!

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:28AM

That's a good method. I've never noticed it being "loose" at all.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.151.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:29AM

If you like that way, do it that way. None of this is written in stone, and people try different ways and then settle on what they like. Try both

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:37AM

If you pull out away from the tunnel on an angle it works great. I overwrap about 10 turns and cut the tag short before the pull.

Date: March 01, 2005 11:38AM

I had trouble with the tag ends when I tried cutting them off close to the wraps. It seemed I either had a piece of thread or fuzz sticking out between the wraps. I found out that what looks nearly imperceptible by the eyes, becomes a problem when the first coat of epoxy is applied.
Please remember I'm a rookie with only 2 rods completed. Ed Michura, my mentor, is a great guy and I can't wait to spend a day watching him build a rod.
Thanks and keep the help coming, Bruce

Date: March 01, 2005 11:44AM

I don't think that's the "Clemens" method. It's been around for many, many decades. Either way, it's still excellent if you have trouble with "nubs" and want to try something different. It's been covered here many times in the past few years.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 12:57PM

Bruce,

I had rather call it the Gerald Mc method as I have been using it for at least 45 years.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Date: March 01, 2005 01:14PM

Gee, I hope I didn't offend anybody. I read it in his book and thought he came up with the idea. Thanks, Bruce

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:26PM

It works great for me. I chose that method for the very same reason...no tag end frizzies. Once you get consistent with the proper wrapping tension you will eliminate any chance of loose wraps.

Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 02:13PM

Heck, And here I thought that was the Wayne T Dye method, Sorry Gerald Mc. I use it for the same reason no nubbies....Bruce I don't think you hurt anyones feelings, us old guys are pretty thick skined.

Wayne T. Dye
Six Mile Creek Rods

Date: March 01, 2005 02:17PM

He certainly publicized it to a great many people.

Date: March 01, 2005 02:17PM

Wow! Can I call it the Bruce A. Tomaselli method? I don't have any children so at least something will be named after me.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:32PM

Bruce,

You certainly have my permission and I am sure that Wayne will also say ok.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:53PM

Who's ever method it is LOL - when you cut the tag use NEW and SHARP . That may be why you are getting fuzzies.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 09:29PM

Any nubs or stickers can be easily sliced off with a razor after the coat of finish has cured.

Jay

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:27PM

There very few (if any) methods, techniques, or tools that can be attributed soley to any one individual.

Lou

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:06AM

Learned how to tie-off wraps from Don Robb of Ligonier, PA. Don had a rod shop in an old clapboard building in the center of town. How long ago...well we were still using silk thread.

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:14AM

Ed,

Some of us are still using silk thread... ;-)

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster