I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The hype and the reality
Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:25PM

I've been driving all day long and just got in so forgive me if my spelling or grammar aren't what they should be. I just had to pop in and give a quick assessment of what I saw in Charlotte this weekend. It's rare that something really lives up to all the hype that I've seen this show getting the past few months. But it more than lived up to it. Even with all the prior warning and advertising I really was blown away when I hit the rod building area on Saturday morning. I wouldn't have thought there were that many rod blanks in all the world!!!! Before I could get just a few booths down the show erupted and there were so many builders clogging all the booths that I realized for the first time just how many rod builders there actually are.

To make a long story short I just have to say that I have never seen so much rod building stuff at one time and have never learned so much in one weekend on any subject. The seminars were great and I especially liked the featured builder booth. Very informal but very educational. This show really impressed me. I was expecting a lot and this was way beyond even what I thought I would see and learn. I still feel like with two full days I didn't see and do everything I wanted to. Just a great show and thanks for the most momentous rod building experience of my life. Where can I buy a lifetime pass to all future Charlotte shows??!!

Got to get some sleep now. Thanks again for the best rod building event on the planet. My wife didn't even flince when she found out I spent $800 on rod building "stuff"!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The hype and the reality
Posted by: Owen McLean (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:33PM

It was a great show, much more than I anticipated. Can't wait until next year. Does anyone know the name of the exhibitor on the far wall next to Donart that had all the very inexpensive grips? I ran out of cash and they didn't take credit cards.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:56PM

It was either Custom Tackle Co if it was the far end on the right or Schneiders if it the close end on the left.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Owen McLean (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:59PM

I too thought it was Custom Tackle but I think they were from San Antonio.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:04PM

Sounds like Lamar. They were the guys with the many thousands of cork grips of all sizes and shapes. Nice people. They had the trash cans full of blanks. Interesting marketing concept.

When I came down the escalator and through the gates to the show I headed over to the rod building side. Another guy just behind me asked the door attendant where the rod building show was. I turned back and said "it's over this way just follow me". He came up and we walked along and then finally turned onto the rod building aisle. I'll never forget his comment as he gazed upon the scene. "Holy Crap!! I had no idea it was going to be like this!!" I don't think I can add much more to his comments.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.247.137.239.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:06PM

Hey guys Bob is the one with hair Andy has his head shaved, both great people

Date: February 28, 2005 10:13PM

When somebody told me to go down and look through the blanks that Lamar had put in the trash cans I thought he meant they were throwing them away!! I had to buy them but still got a great deal. A dozen sweet popping blanks for what I'd normally pay for three or four.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:19PM

Best part of the show... got so wrapped up in looking at all the supplies I looked at my watch and realized I missed two seminars I wanted to go to. Then at dinner I kept telling my wife "well I bought this blank yesterday and these burnt cork rings yesterday morning" and some how I kept thinking I had been there for two days and it was still Saturday! Got so wrapped up in the rod building section I never made it to the upstairs seminars I just kept going back and forth between the dealers and the rodbuilders booth. The rodbuilders booth was great. When I got home Sunday night I had to call in sick Monday because I had to build the new rods with the new junk I got cause I had the FEVER!

If you get a chance check out Custom Tackle supply they have some really nice textured forecast exposed through casting grips ( I think they maybe new.. if not they were new to me) and he had good deals on them. Thanks for taking the time to sort through your stuff for me Custom Tackle!!!

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:01AM

Andy Dear from Lamar reel seats was the one with a TON of pre-formed cork at extremely low prices. $3 for 10", $4 for 12", cork sticks 18" for $5, 36" for $25. I know he had a bit leftover, you might want to contact him and see what he has left.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:42AM

The reality is that this is the best rod building event ever put on! You can add up all the rest of the various shows, events and seminars and put them all together you still wouldn't come up with anything that would even begin to approach this show. Just a great, great time with more products and seminars than you shake a stick at. Best rod building experience of my life. Can't wait 'till next year!!!!!!

Posted by: Bob Berman (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 09:08AM

I am new builder that attended the show and the basic beginner seminar. I bought 2 rod blanks and related pieces and will be building my first rods over the next few weeks. I thought the show was great and you can count me in for next year as well. Thanks to everyone who created such a great learning experience for a newbie like me.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:51PM

Danny Bundy is absolutely correct! Best rodbuilding show and seminars bar none.

Last years show was excellent, but this years show far surpasssed it.

Many thanks to Tom, the exhibitors, seminar & demo folks and all the great folk at the show.

Stan

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:34PM

Glad everyone had a good time, I had my own little rod building show going on my bench. Finished wrapping two, applied finish to one, and glued up 3 rods for wrapping this week. Unfortunately I came down hard with a cold. Absolutely miserable. Things on hold for a couple of days...

Lou

Date: March 02, 2005 08:08PM

Stan, I believe you've attended other shows so you would be qualified to make that statement! You would be able to compare fairly. I sure enjoyed it and agree with you that it was the best and even better than last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster