I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rodbond/epoxy
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:24AM

My clearance as I stated earlier between the wood insert and blank is about two turns of tape. I hear that rod bond is great for this purpose but wont I have a problem getting that thicker stuff in between the joint. I can't decide between 2 part easy flowing epoxy or rod bond. If i get some rod bond on the wood insert during application what does it clean up with. I think i'll just cover the whole insert with tape. Why am I building a rod? I've got a struble ns real seat, a nice brown gl3 blank and a struble grip. Halloway guides , ns winding check. I don't know if I can get through this. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rodbond/epoxy
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:38AM

Take your time it will come out nice! Trust me Mask off any thing you don't want glue on. Use the rod bond, you will not need much. Keep a lot of paper towels handy, and alcohole for clean up.
The rod bond will not run all over the place, it's thick

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 04:40AM

Go wirh Rod Bond !! Like Bill says it is easy to clean up
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 06:18AM

Just make sure that the edges of the tape are adhered tight to the seat with no creases.epoxy can find its way under the loose spots.After everything is set in place I carefully remove the tape in case had intrusion of epoxy under the tape and clean it up before it sets.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2005 08:49AM

You can get through this and you can build a nice rod. Use this board when or if you run into any rough spots. People here are happy to help.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:43AM

Thanks gentlemen. I will go with rod bond. Whats a good cleaner for u40?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:59AM

Denatured Alcohol is all I use.

Jay

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas6.chicago4.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 01:22PM

I just put together a couple of woven graphite reel seats.They were loose fitting as well.I thought about wrapping with some "E" thread to make for a tighter fit,but I used the Rod Bond only.The Rod Bond filled up the gap just fine,it does'nt run like regular two part epoxy.I clamped them up with C-clamps and let dry overnight.Isopropyl alcohol works fine for clean up.Joel

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:56PM

Alcohol is one of your best friends in rodbuilding. Sometimes in more ways than one!

I was a long time user of Flex Coat epoxy until I gave Rod Bond a shot. I am the three stooges combined with "liquid" adhesives. One rod grip and I had the stuff on my pants, my arms, my hair, my shoes, the cat, the kids, everywhere. Go to bed and be stuck to the sheets in the morning. Paste was made for guys like me, plus it is a great gap filler on those slightly loose fits that sometimes happen.

You want to build the perfect rod where everything is perfectly centered. I know your pain. Rodbuilding is like golf. Perfection is unattainable, but you are addicted to striving for it. And just when you think you've reached it, you get an ego and want just a little better. Vicious circle for sure:))

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster