I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Harvey Adams (---.fuse.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 09:45PM

What would you guys recommend for a newbie to buy as his first rod wrapper, I would like to buy quality, but not break the bank either. You guys are the most helpful people I have ever had the the pleasure to deal with on the Internet. This site amazes me, you post a question and there is always someone willing to help . Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 09:50PM

When I started Building I learned to wrap by hand on a set of padded V blocks on the Kitchen table
Then i built my own rod Machine Works great! now 15 years later I am back to wrapping by hand seem to get better results. You can get a hand wrapper from most of the Sponsers on the Left or Check the Photo pageafter clicking on buy and sell

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 09:50PM

When I started Building I learned to wrap by hand on a set of padded V blocks on the Kitchen table
Then i built my own rod Machine Works great! now 15 years later I am back to wrapping by hand seem to get better results. You can get a hand wrapper from most of the Sponsers on the Left or Check the Photo pageafter clicking on buy and sell

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:43PM

All you need is a piece of 3/4 by 3" plank, a hand saw, dril, and some screws.
Like said check out the photo page under Equipment for ideas

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:06PM

I agree with you Harvey, where can you find a better bunch of guys that want to help each other. I to am looking for a good wrapper. I thought I had my mind made up on what RPM to use for my dryer motor, I need to take another pole on that one. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 11:14PM

The average is 18 RPM Got to find the speed you like

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:23AM

Most guys do not power wrap their guides. What a power wrapper is good for is sanding cork. I made may first dryer motor using a rotisserie motor and I still use it occasionally
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:23AM

Harvey. Check out the travelor wrapper by Flexcoat. Under $40 and has everything you need, although an extra tensioner might be useful. I replaced the old home built this year.

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:35AM

I am also new at rod building. I waited for the show so I could see first hand as well as talk to other builders regarding their opinions on a hand wrapper verses a power wrapper for starting out. Most I talked too said if you believe you will be in this for the long haul then go ahead and get a power wrapper. You can still wrap by hand with one until you get comfortable, then use the power. Again, I am new so I am just repeating what others at the show suggested. I went with a Pac Bay because it was a good deal at the show and they are offering a free dryer with it until May 1st. I liked the Renzetti but for just starting out I didn't want to spend that much. I felt using that money for other tools and supplies was a better decision for me. I can however see myself with a Renzetti in a few years....they are very nice! I hope this helps.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 11:49AM

Check out Greg Pennell's design in the Library section of this board. This is the one I built, and it has worked great.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 28, 2005 12:03PM

I wrap by hand as well. All I've done is build a couple of roller blocks using gray rubber wheels. On large saltwater rods it would be nice to have a power rapper for long underwraps on big OD blanks. Other than that I'm content with hand wrapping for now.

Good wrappers from what I hear are Pac Bay, AmTak, & Flex Coat. Renzetti if you want top-of-the-line.

Jay

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.158.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 01:58PM

i'm about to start fly rod number 6 and i'm using a cheap hand wrapper i purchased off of @#$%& (it was a means to try one out and then figure out what details could be an improvement, then build my own at a later time). it's been working fine (except for some small details in design) and i find myself turning that blank pretty fast with my fingers. this is a hobby for me and i imagine a drastic slow down in production once the fishing season kicks in.

by the way, i went the premade route only because i live in an apartment, have limited work space and no supply of loose, unused wood lying about the place.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 10:29PM

I use the netcraft screw clamp rollers and tensioner. Space is a premium for me so I put them on the kitchen counters, dining table, end tables, TV trays, wherever people will leave most leave me alone for a few hours.

My dryer is a 30 motor taped to a pvc blank tube, taped to a floor lamp next to the fireplace mantle where I clamp on my rollers. I'm serious low tech.

I'm working on a living room knick knack shelf that converts into a permanent work station that, when not in actual use, folds up and is visually acceptable to the wife when company is over. Will also be nice for weaves. Any weaving I do now has to be done at a single sitting. With this, I'll be able to do weaves over a couple of days. It will also be able to serve as a drying box.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster