I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Experiences on The Brunsell "Li'l Streamer"
Posted by: Hans Lehikoinen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:08PM

Hi!
The Brunsell "Li'l Streamer" rods seem very fascinating for any kind of fishing, but does anyone have any firs hand experiences on these rods? I was thinking of GEF2 565/2, since it's the only short wt5 rod I have found this far! (Well Wulff's bamboo replica is the second option... ) What is the graphite on these rods?

Thanks again!

Hans

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experiences on The Brunsell "Li'l Streamer"
Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 02:53PM

If you are looking for a short 5wt, try the Forecast SPG601 1pc. glass UL spinning blank. I built this thinking it would be a 2/3wt, but it really comes alive with a WF5 Mastery Headstart. It's a first quality blank in a nice gloss black finish that sells for less than $10.00. Don't let the price fool you, it builds into a sweet flyrod.

I am about to order the SPG720 6ft 1pc glass blank from Forecast. I'm thinking it will build into a nice 5/6 wt in 6ft.

PS. Schneider's Rod Shop carries these blanks, as well as Bingham Enterprises.

Good Luck.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: February 28, 2005 02:06AM

Hans,

I tried one of those blanks from GlobalDorber and built it the same way that Brunsell did. I trimmed the line to the shooting head and boy, did I have a rod that was great. I loaded that rod sideways and shot it under brush, logs, etc. Great rod. Sold the rod and built another by dropping the bottom section from a 4 piece four weight. Still works just as good. I love to experiment. That blank from dorber is around 42 mill/mod.

Randy

Posted by: Hans Lehikoinen (---.pohjoiskarjala.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:13AM

Thanks Lou and Randy!

Lou let me know how the SPG720 6ft 1pc glass rod behaves and turns out! I was thinking about buying the same rod!

Randy, how did the Dorber act with a fish, i.e. did it have any "backbone"?

Actually I wanted the 6footer wt5/6 to be my small salmon rod, which would have some backbone in order to pull the fish away from sunken trees and logs. The rivers where I fish have only salmon ranging from 2-6 pounds and the width of the rivers are maximum of 30 feet! I usually fish with a 9' wt6 rod which is more than enough, but after reading few of Lee Wulff's books I have become addicted to short rods!

Hans

Date: February 28, 2005 09:25AM

Hans,

Will do. I also like the short soft rods for fishing out of my kayak for bass and bluegills. I am hoping to get this blank built before the end of March so that I can use it for my first Kayak fishing trips of the year.

Lou

Posted by: Hans Lehikoinen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: February 28, 2005 09:34AM

Thanks Lou!

What was the action of the Forecast SPG601 1pc. glass with a wt5 wf line? Is the blank durable and does it have that extra butt strenght with fish?
I built a Forecast 7'6" wt5 2-piece flyrod -from Dan Craft- and it's beyond my wildest dreams! It casts like a dream with a wt5 TT wulff line over 50 feet, excellent rod!

Hans

Date: February 28, 2005 06:13PM

Hey Hans,

The SPG601 has a very nice moderate action. It definitely bends easily, but has good butt strength. I think that because of it's short length, it really loads allot better with a 5wt line than say a 3 or 4. I personally like slower rods for short work, and this rod works very well with the 5wt. It throws it with authority, but you have to let the rod do the work. Incidentally, if you like a little faster action, it would be a great dry fly rod with a WF or DT3 line. It is a very versatile blank that i fished with a WF4 line last year and liked allot with that line. It wasn't until I tried the 5 line that the rod really showed me what it can do.

If you like smooth rods, definitely give this rod a look. It's not a noodle, like you would expect from glass, but it is much softer than your standard medium action graphite. I am really looking forward to building the 6ft blank because I think the extra length will provide more flex.

On the 6footer, I am using black single foot Alconites, a small ultra fine grip, struble teak insert with black ring and cap, and either medium brown or red wraps with white trim. I ordered the blank, grip, and guides from Bingham today for $41.00.

Good Luck.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster