I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

nickle silver or anodized aluminum for reel seats
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:31AM

Does anyone know the real lowdown on nickle silver vs anodized aluminum materials for real seats? Some places you read say that nickle silver tarnishes easily and is a pain compared to high grade aluminum. Other places say that the nickel silver is more durable and ages "more gracefully".
I'm sure both are probably fine materials but just wondered what other builders experience (or preference) has been.

Thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nickle silver or anodized aluminum for reel seats
Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: February 27, 2005 04:44PM

Aside from personal preferences, good aluminum is best for light rods. NS does age gracefully into a nice patina, but very easily can be brought back to full brightness. Bright aluminum seats and winding checks compliment bright hard chrome guides. Black anodized seats compliment black chrome guides. NS seats after time more or less "clash" with the chrome guides. I use NS exclusively on bamboo and often use blueing. REC's new NS finish has yet to be tested. I personally prefer aluminum seats. I have a good supply of old Rodon seats that I really love, except for the pressed uplocking hoods making it harder to shape the cork ring for a good fit.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 05:11PM

i definately prefer the fine NS seats over the aluminum. i love the fine threads. it just looks richer to me.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 07:11AM

Nickel silver looks a hundred times nicer and classier than aluminum ever will.Sure you have to clean it up every now and then to bring back the lustre,but the look can't be beat.

Aluminum simply looks "cheap" by comparison IMHO,but it is light,inexpensive,and can have it's advantages.You'll never worry about scatching up an aluminum seat like you would nickel silver,LOL.

If you are planning on using a nice burl wood insert or something then definitely go NS because nice wood deserves nice hardware that looks great and will last,but I would probably go aluminum on most other seats and definitely go aluminum on anything that might see salt water.Cork slide band seats look good with either,but I definitely prefer NS(even though aluminum is lighter,the NS just looks that much better).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2005 07:33AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.158.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 01:50PM

i have a temple fork outfitters 9 foot 5 weight fly rod, the professional series. the hardware feels so light, it might be aluminum. it also feels so light, it feels cheap. the heft of nickle silver just adds to the value in my mind. and perceived sturdiness, which is probably debatable! ;-)

i have noticed some notching and nicks from wear on my aluminum seat. would n/s do this? i'm kind of hard on my gear.. which comes from holding a rod in one hand and scrambling over granite boulders as i work small streams, bracing myself with each hand as necesary, so it's kind of inevitable, although i TRY to be careful. this is also my first winter season building and i've used nickle silver on two rods for friends and dad, and i intend to do one for me at least so we shall see what develops in real world use.

i DO like the apparent finer machining with n/s, particularly the finer threads, although i'm now flirting with cap and ring setups.

just rambling again...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Aaron Harp (---.ypeast01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 01:58PM

Greg: You can see that people have preferences regarding nickel silver v. aluminum. Mine are equally personal.

I love the look of NS with turned wood inserts on rods that are about 6wt or less. They lend a look of lightness and grace, fine engineering,etc., and feel almost weightless to me.

I use black anodized aluminum on rods 7wt and up, and always for saltwater rods. I don't like uncolored aluminum. I think these seats can take a beating better than NS. I will even use heavy duty graphite for salt as well.

Just my $0.02.

Aaron Harp

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 28, 2005 06:29PM

Thanks for some great info.
Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster