I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping off Flex Coat is easy, what about Permagloss?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:04PM

Sunday I'm going to take a shot at using Permagloss for the first time. I've researched it and the main theme seems to be to use several thin coats and let it dry thoroughly between coats. I just stripped down a SCIII blank that I had used Flex Coat Lite on and it came off very easy. My goal is to achieve shorter and thinner wraps with Permagloss. I understand it is harder than Flex Coat but if I decide to remove it, is it harder to strip off as well? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping off Flex Coat is easy, what about Permagloss?
Posted by: John Dow (204.60.205.---)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:22PM

Tim , I alsays use PG as a first coat on fly rods ,then LS or FC and have had to remove one guide.....once. I was more painstaking to remove than one with just FC . I would imagine if you did the whole wrap it would be a lot harder . The only rod I used strait PG on is still in service , it took 6 coats to get the look I was after . An hour of dry time in + 72 deg is all that is needed in between coats for a cure . If you have any problems with bubbles , it's because the first coat wasn't dry ,or you are trying to put too much on in one coat . The Pg dries hard as a rock , and crystal clear , nice stuff if you have a day to keep at it ......... or 7 hrs anyway.
Have fun , hope it comes out good , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:24PM

Tim,

From what I've heard Permagloss is harder finish than Flexcoat but if you're using it to finish just your wraps there should not be a problem removing it. The finish mostly adhere to the thread not the blank. Of coarse the is a small amount of finish that sticks to the blank as you found when stripping your SCIII.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:33PM

Permagloss is a female dog to remove compared to epoxy finish. FC peels up nice and easy. If you need to strip PG, be prepared to use some elbow grease.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:49PM

Hi Mick,

I see where it would be a dog if the whole blank is covered in Permagloss. If just the threads are coated won't it come off about the about the same as Flex Coat? I have never used Permagloss but would think that the thread would peel off just the same. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.179.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 09:13AM

permagloss dries a lot faster and has a lot better adhesion. It is not an epoxy. It is used as a blank coating, and will be harder to get off. But this is a good thing

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 10:35AM

Hank, slicing and peeling the thread is pretty much the same though it is a bit harder with PG. With epoxy finish, you can often get an entire wrap to peel away at once. with PG, you usually wind up peeling small bands off until all the thread is gone. That's the easy part.

The bear is smoothing the blank where the thread was. The PG forms ridges where the thread was, like imprints of each thread, and just trying to wrap over it doesn't work, at least the ones I've done. As Bill said, this stuff is a rod coating. It's not meant to come off the blank easily. Takes some scraping and sanding to get rid of it. If there's an easy way to get it off, I don't know it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster