I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Doc Ski
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 07:11PM

Doc, are you still weaving using the tape method? I have tried a couple of looms including one that I made and my tightest weaves have been using tape. I learned to weave using your video so I don't know if I have gotten set in my ways using tape or am I missing something somewhere. I use a couple of styrofoam wheels with numbered slits to hold the threads. I can keep track of the threads but it seems that I always wind up with a loose weave.
Cheers, Ellis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Doc Ski
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 26, 2005 07:34PM

Ellis, doesn't Doc make it look easy on his video, spoke to him the other day about this. He now uses looms that he makes himself. My question to him does he still lay each thread individually down onto the blank before fixing the end down.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 07:54PM

Doc and I both use the loom invented by John Stumpe of Florida who published directions for making it in a Rodcrafters magazine about 5yrs ago. If you look at Doc's latest weave pic he posted you can see the loom in the pic.

Date: February 26, 2005 08:05PM

You are absolutely right, it looks easy 'till you start doing it. I have done a few weaves in single thread for a long time but when it comes to the multicolored thread weaves, it is a different story. For one thing, I haven't had too much time to start and finish a weave in one day. If I let it get cold, I am lost. By the way, in doing research on my family name, I found several Mendiola families living in your country. They must have gone there as sheep herders as was my grandfather. I am of Basque decent.
I am into flytying also, so when my eyes get tired I come back to this site for awhile.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 08:36PM

I was hesitant to try color change weaving for many years as I thought it looked to complex. Doc kept telling me to try his yellowtail pattern saying it was one of the easiest color change patterns to do being a two layer pattern. I finally tried it and was suprised how easy it was, took less than half a day total from start to finish. It gets tuffer as you add layers, Doc has some with 5 or more layers which I've yet to try. When he was doing them with tape it must have been a nightmare, the loom greatly simplfies it, can let it sit for a day to rest if you want if you don't mind your lath tied up. Several times I've set up several rods with the threads all ready to go in looms waiting till I was in the mood to do a weave.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:32PM

Sorry to take so long in answering but I have been gone all day and just now getting caught up. As you now know I use jig now. It is much easier and a lot less problems. I have weaves I walked away from for months and they are still there. I just sent Myles picture and directions on how to use a jig, If I can figure it out I will send it to you. As always if you have questions then we can attack them as they arise. It aint rocket science.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:40PM

Jim & Doc,

Did my first color weave today. I did the roosterfish and it came out ok. I will post a photo tomorrow. My biggest mistake was using "A" thread for both the wrap & weave. I think a bigger thread for the weave would have made it standout better. I have a couple of rods to finish tomorrow (I should have done them today instead of weaving) and if there is enought time I will try the same weave but using "D" thread for the weaving thread (I don't have any "C" thread yet. Again many thanks to both of you.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:45PM

Great Hank - Keep us up to date. I am confused. are you using A for the Wrap or the Pattern?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:55PM

I used "A" thread for both. The weave looks good but seems flat and small. I think the Roosterfish is a 48 thread weave. Will "D" thread work ok for the pattern thread and "A" thread for the wrap or is "D" threat to large for the pattern thread?.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: February 27, 2005 07:11AM

Thanks all. Doc, with your type of loom I keep getting confused and put the threads on the wrong side so I now make a simple loom from two pieces of styrofoam that work better for me. One day I was helping a friend that has a very busy rod shop and he gave me a set of the styros to try. He had bought the spring type loom and it was over in a corner gathering dust. He told me his method worked better. I got your e-mail and I will soon have time to practice the multicolor weaving. It does seem that Mudhole has your DVD. I will call and make sure that they do before I e-mail my compadres in Spain.
Cheers, Ellis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster