I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reamer with sandpaper
Posted by: karen erickson (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:36AM

I'm pretty sure it was here that I read about making a reamer by twisting a sanding belt around an old piece of rod - it specified to use a 1/2 or 3/4 inch sanding belt, and I can't find one that narrow anywhere. Does anybody know if this is a "magic number" or if I could use a 1 inch belt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reamer with sandpaper
Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.pdx.or.uspops.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:34AM

Karen

There's an excellent article in the library section called "New twist on an old tool" that explains how to make a reamer with a one inch sanding belt. So, the answer is yes you can use a one inch belt.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.11.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:39AM

If you go to the hardware store and ask for Emory cloth rolls you should be able to find them in 3/4 " rolls . I don't know how small of aroll they sell though , all you need is a couple of strips a foot long or so . I don't see why 1" wouldn't work , just make sure you leave a gap between each wrap so material can exit the hole being reamed . Hope this helps , have fun . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:40AM

You can always take a utility knife and a straight edge and cut a 1" belt into 2 half inch belts.

Date: February 26, 2005 10:56AM

Thanks, I already thought of that, but I am challenged when it comes to straight lines, and was afraid that if the strips were wavy, they might catch the dust.

Date: February 26, 2005 11:00AM

Thanks, that was the article I was talking about, it just wasn't available at the time I posted - but it is the one that specifies 1/2 or 3/4. Guess I will just get the 1 inch and try it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.216.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:24AM

Mud Hole carries the tape in a roll. I would not use the grit because it will scratch a blank by grit staying inside the cork handle. Think they have an artical on how to put it on

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 26, 2005 05:31PM

Karen just made myself two from the flexcoat arbor tape available from most sponsors, 36 grit and half inch wide, real easy to twist up the blank.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:59PM

I used the non-skid surface tape that you can buy at your local home improvement store. Comes in 1" width. Its peel and stick also. I just cut off about a 1' piece and cut it in !/2" strips with an old pair of scissors. Works great, plenty coarse enough.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster