I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Common Sense Frequency
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:58PM

I have not seen any posts on Bill Hanneman,s article on his latest addition to the Common Sense System, Common Sense Frequency, that is in this latest issue of RodMaker. What do you rod builders think about it???????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common Sense Frequency
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:24PM

I posted a question yesterday and was pleased to find out I actually understood the article!

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 11:40PM

Hadn't read it yet.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 01:35AM

I am not a fly builder, so the whole CCS system is basically greek to me. I'd like to learn more about it, but would like to find it in one complete article/book.

What I read in this issue of the mag was very well written, and for all my stupidity on the subject, was very informative to a certain point. I learned a lot, but I am missing the basics of how to apply this great article.

It seems as though an entire book could be written on how to "label" a fly rod. I don't mean to tick off the fly guys but there seems to be a sort of aristocracy with fly rods. There seems to be an incredible amount of info that makes little sense when it comes to fly rods as opposed to spinning/casting rods.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2005 05:49AM

There will be a book with the complete system in the not too distant future. I've had several people at the show yesterday comment that they liked the article, felt it was based on good practical and simple methods and that they felt Dr. Hanneman was on the right track with this particular take on "frequency."

I have no doubt some will not like it, will find it "greek" to them, etc. But overall I think he has created a practical means for putting a relative number scale on rod "feel."

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.216.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 12:00PM

Mick
Think Tom has it alone and you can perchase it from him? Ask

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:08AM

Bill, basically I don't understand the whole thing because I've never seen the whole concept. I have only seen bits and pieces which really intrigues me. The article only made me want to understand the whole system even more. I have little use for it at the moment, as I am not a fly guy, but I would like to learn it as I think it may have practical application to spinning and casting rods in a small capacity.

As I understand it, CCS is pretty much used to categorize a fly rod's characteristics since there is no industry standard at the moment. To some extent, the same thing is happening with spinning/casting rods. The same specs on different blanks feel different. It isn't as important as on a fly rod as far as performance, but for a guy looking for the same feel as a rod he once had, it can be very important.

I have a baitcaster who wishes he could get the same rods he had 20 years ago that he loved that are no longer made. He wants that same feel. All I can do at the moment is try to find some old blanks that are the same.

Building a database for fly rods is a good thing. But it also might be a decent idea to do the same thing with all other blanks.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2005 09:04AM

Mick,
While Bill Hanneman did have fly rods in mind when he developed the system the use of the earlier parts of the Common Sense System is not limited to fly rods. It works equally well on casting or spinning rods. It will allow you to measure both the power and the action of a rod or blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster